• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jaeger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mean....I wasn't driving my old "Olds" when I wuz a teener? :shocked2:
Or my big knife isn't a Bowie? :doh:
Wat did we start? :stir:
I call my Jaeger a Jaeger but have named it "Nimrod" for the Biblical 'great hunter'. Is that OK? Or did I go :eek:ff ?

Stophel said:
Es ist ein' Büchse. :wink:
whatever they're called, they're BEAUTIFUL pieces!
different category, but is there a German fowler counterpart?

LOTS of German fowling guns. Almost universally half stocked. Generally constructed the same way as rifles. No patchboxes, no rear sights (other than U grooves or wing type sights sometimes).

In books and auction catalogs, etc. I see more rifles than smoothbores. In "real life", I see way more smoothbores!

My T.W. Pistor I use when reenacting.
It doesn't look as pristine anymore.
pix337552203.jpg

pix337552312.jpg

pix337552265.jpg

German? bird gun, ca. 1760. Eventually, I'll get it looking better as far as the lock.... I hope I haven't lost all the pieces! This gun has a butt trap for a bayonet (no, I don't have the bayonet. Neither do I have the foot of barrel that was cut off the front!). It was a fad at the time to put bayonets on guns like this.
www.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Fatdutchman/Original Flintlocks/GermanFowler/

I have photos someone sent me of a rifle that is obviously by the same maker. The lock is flat faced, and if I recall correctly, it is from Liege or something... I'll have to look again. Heck, it could be a Belgian gun...

This one is my pride and joy! A LIGHT bird gun, about .50 caliber. Full octagon barrel, still in original flint condition. Stocked in the Spanish style. Lock marked inside the plate "SVLA", which as I understand it is the city of Suhl. Date? something like 1700-1730. The lock looks pretty early in form. The butt is a bit warped, but it's warped in the right direction, and still handles magnificently. www.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Fatdutchman/Original Flintlocks/SpanishStyle/

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a beauty Stophel!! I notice it does not have a rib. Their are two half stocks illustrated in the "Steinschloss-Jagerbuchen" book that are without ribs as well. Is that a feature common and unique to German gun work? Thank for showing your gun!
Robby

I've saved various pictures of several for future reference. None of them have ribs.

These were all listed as being of German origin, however I'm no expert in recognizing the specific characteristics of German vs Swiss vs E French vs.......

421074_detail2_max.jpg

462754_detail3_max.jpg

bongardebolkantiques-01.jpg

bongardebolkantiques-02.jpg

Even with many English guns as well, the rib was not a feature on the earlier guns that were stocked in half.

No ribs. Not as original work, anyway.... When I got the gun with the bayonet trap, it had a rib screwed to the bottom of the barrel with brass screws. :barf:

The first gun Supercracker showed looks Bavarian or Austrian. The second is by Hermann Bongarde in Duesseldorf. Bongarde was one of the most incredible gunsmiths of all time. :wink:

The half stocking was in emulation of Spanish and Italian style. Italian guns are awesome.

Steve, Every thing of yours that I have seen is Top Drawer, beautiful design and execution. Thanks for showing them.
Robby

Scan_Pic0001-28.jpg

According to Shumway, 1720's smoothbore Fowling piece?) Has been on hold, I hope to finish it soon. .58 cal., swamped, 13 1/2" pull.
OOPPS! wrong pic!
Scan_Pic0001-27.jpg

Again!!
Please accept my humble apologies. I can't find my pic!!!

The triggerguards like on the rifle in the second drawing appeals to me. It is seen on German wheellock hunting rifles as well. Is this type of triggerguard strictly military??

Back