• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jaeger in Cherry?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rambler

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy,

Wow what a site! Was hoping Ya'll could help me out. I am working on my persona for 7 years war and have decided a Jaeger would fit ok. Now I'm about to order the Totw jaeger kit, I wanted walnut but they say 2 months to 1.5 years for the stock to be "in stock". they do have cherry and maple in stock. So were any Jaegers done in either of these two woods?

Thanks!

Rambler

I'd go with maple if you can get a stock with some nice figure. Cherry, from what some of the builders here have said, is a very hard wood and is hard to work with even though it's a really pretty wood but it still won't have the grain pattern and figure that a good piece of maple will have. Yep, I'd go maple. :hmm: :thumbsup:

German guns were mainly stocked in european walnut, occasionaly fruit wood such as apple or pear and rarely birch. I have stocked a jeager in cherry before, and stained dark it looks OK. Cherry is very easy to work with, I find it about like american walnut. Maple would be my absolute last choice for a german rifle, no where near historically accurate. :shake:

What most of us consider when we hear "jaegers" are short-barreled rifles made in Germanic countries and brought here. The vast majority of them would be stocked in European walnut. If you wanted to represent a gun that was restocked here in America, then other woods are fine. We just do not have enough data to know whether any "jaegers" were built from scratch here (smith assembling a new barrel, lock, stock and furniture together to make a completely new rifle). If you're just looking for a short rifle with an early style and don't sweat the historical accuracy angle, maple and cherry are both fine woods.

Well, since neither Cherry or Maple would be "PC" I'd go for Maple since it's the nicest looking of the two. Sometime, in our modern world, we can't always go with what's "PC", we have to make due and get what we can get. :v

I'd go with European walnut as a first choice and fruitwood as a second option. The ones that I have seen with maple stocks just don't look right.
Maybe you would be better served by a transitional long rifle?

Cherry looks rather close to what is usually nebulously termed "fruitwood", which on European guns is usually pear wood. I thik cherry would be fine, but personally would prefer GOOD quality walnut, which is NOT easy to find. Good quality cherry is not a problem. Even so, "fruitwood" is only OCCASIONALLY seen used on German guns. I think basically, they didn't want to cut down productive pear trees! I have actually seen more German guns stocked in maple than pear wood, and I can probably count them on one hand with fingers left over!!!

Anyone who stains cherry (or walnut) should be stretched on the rack, whipped, hung, and then beheaded, with said head impaled upon a pike for passers-by who see it to grimace in fear and weep in sorrow for the foul sinner who would dare to commit such a heinous crime!!! :winking:

Anyone who stains cherry (or walnut) should be stretched on the rack, whipped, hung, and then beheaded, with said head impaled upon a pike for passers-by who see it to grimace in fear and weep in sorrow for the foul sinner who would dare to commit such a heinous crime!!!
Gosh.....you were such a nice fellow last weekend down at Friendship..... :haha:

Der Fett' Deutscher said:
grimace in fear and weep in sorrow for the foul sinner who would dare to commit such a heinous crime!!! :winking:

bahahahahaaaa .... bahahahhahahaha

go get'em Chris.

I figured walnut would be the way to go, but the darn wait! BTW this will be my first build, so any input would be appreciated, I could see a transitional long rifle, but was very interested in a shorter barrel as this will also serve as a white tail gun, in the Ohio territory. I have a Caywood Wilson trade gun in maple, its purty but not PC in the wood or the design from what I'm told. I have the 41" .62cal. Any input on its PC'ness would also be appreciated.....

SO what kit would you all recommend as a closer PC rifle for 1750-1760? For a scout/merchant in the Ohio river wilderness? I would be of Scotts/English desent and a trader/swapper of all things useful, even with the savages ;)

Thanks

Rambler

The "Edward Marshall" transitional rifle could work. And you might get away with maple on this one. TOTW and Jim Chambers offer them. Barrel length is the last thing that I worry about. I have several guns with barrels 40 inches and longer and they are no problem, even in thick cover.

Why a Cherry pike shaft of course. I have to agree though, staining Cherry is a sin against nature. From the time you build it to several years down the road it'll constantly change color if left unstained. Eventually it will have the most beautiful deep red color you've ever seen. It's far and away my favorite wood. Just getting ready to put together a New England gun of extremely fine curly Cherry. The curl in Cherry is nothing like the curl in a nice Maple stock but it's just as beautiful in it's own way. The wood is softer though and harder to work without chipping out than maple or walnut.

Dick

Before giving up on the walnut, have you called Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply Co. and asked Dick Greensides if he has a Walnut Jaeger?
It is said that he supplies TOTW with their stocks, and I believe he supplies his own customers before he supplies other companys. :)

Dick's phone number is 815-968-1995 and calling and talking directly with him is the fastest way to get an answer. They are a little lax in answering E Mail but I've delt with him for over 11 years and a finer place is hard to find.

Here's a link to his catalog:

PECATONICA RIVER JAEGER

Note: the price given in the above link does not include the wood. For his wood prices check out this link:

pECATONICA WOOD PRICES

Seems Goby walnut on the left coast always has blanks in 'English' walnut (Calif. grown)

Another choice could possibly be birds-eye maple.
In late 1600s / early 1700's, it was quite the fashion in Europe (and England) to build expensive guns using this wood so this would be fine, ..or even maple with a 'shell' curl to it.
I have just such a blank sitting waiting at the mo!

Regards
Pukka.

Russ T Frizzen said:
The "Edward Marshall" transitional rifle could work. And you might get away with maple on this one. TOTW and Jim Chambers offer them. Barrel length is the last thing that I worry about. I have several guns with barrels 40 inches and longer and they are no problem, even in thick cover.

There is and has long been a question as to the dating on the Edward Marshall rifle.Many serious students of the early Pennsylvania rifles tend to date the gun as post 1770 and believe it is a restocked German rifle{not a Jaeger}probably made in the Christian Springs,Pennsylvania shop and related to Shumway RCA Vol.I,No.42 and Vol.II,No. 103,the brass barreled rifle dated 1771{engraved on the box lid and under the breech} with an identical lock which gun Wallace Gusler attributes to Botecourt County,Virginia.The Marshall rifle is a really fine old rifle which was very likely restocked using some recovered parts including the barrel from an earlier German rifle but I question its being described as a transitional rifle from the 1750's and 60's period.
Tom Patton

Did you want to build a gun or would you consider one already built. I think TOTW has some walnut stocked jaegers for sale. I would prefer the walnut also.

I know you probably want to build but IF you did want to buy and price was no object this is one SWEET looking rifle.[url] http://www.trackofthewolf.com...=12&subId=81&styleId=280&partNum=AAC-048[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Try calling Tip Curtis Frontier Shop. (615)654-4445. Tip will have several Jaeger stocks in Walnut & all the parts ya need to build the rifle. He's a nice guy to deal with & I have bought gun parts from him for years. He has a smorgasborg of gun parts avail. :grin:

TN.Frank said:
I know you probably want to build but IF you did want to buy and price was no object this is one SWEET looking rifle.[url] http://www.trackofthewolf.com...&subId=81&styleId=280&partNum=AAC-048[/quote][/url]
First let me say that I know nothing about fancy rifles...but I also want to say that jaw screw strikes me as odd...both it's color and it's length
:hmm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back