• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jaeger Amusette

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A year or so back some one in Europe posted pictures of two Amuesettes on this forum. The picture was taken at a re enactment over there.
They were behind a wood fence.

Sorry, Ogre, I believe that was meant for me.

Perhaps if they took the time to read that thread, they might have found the Amusette link.

CP

Claypipe, I have camped with the Jaegers that put out that website. They have been discussing how to build an Amusette but have not been able to figure out where to get the lock and barrel. I was hoping that someone on this forum might have a clue as to who, what and where we might find those items.

Many Klatch

The hardest part will be the barrel, you are talking between 90 and 200 caliber 2.0".

You may have to use seamless tubing for the barrel.

The lock would have to be tackled by a custom lock builder. So, which lock are you thinking? Flint? Dog lock? Snaphaunce?

CP

The Jaeger reenactors are looking at recreating one of the Amusettes used by the Jaegers during their campaigns in the Americas during the AWI. I would think that a "French" styled flintlock would be suitable. If we had to we would have to make a lock by hand.

I had never considered a seamless tube as a barrel for something this large. Does such a thing exist? We would like to use it with a full charge. I am guessing a charge would be around 350 - 400 grains of 1F. If we couldn't get a barrel that would handle a full charge we could still build an Amusette replica that would fire blank charges.

Many Klatch

I recommend that you study this:

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/dfs/osfm/cmr/cmr-secured/527022.pdf

These are the rules for Massachusetts. National Parks have a different set of regs.

CP

You could call Getz and Ben Coogle and see how big they can make a barrel. I know Ben can make up to one inch he has made barrels for a couple of wall guns.

Claypipe, Seamless tubing is a great idea. years ago there was a man up in Indiana who made smoothbores out of seamless tubing. I used to own one and there are still plenty of them in use twenty years later. I wonder what is the largest seamless tubing they make? Back then the tube guns were .54 and .60 caliber diameter pipes. I am sure these were hydrolic pipe.

Back