• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Jaeger Amusette

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Many Klatch

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I was going to put this in the flintlock rifle forum, but it is really more of a cannon than a shoulder weapon. Has anyone built one of these or know where an original can be seen?

Amusetteimage_zps656e00bf.jpg

Amusette: Any piece bore between 90 and 200 caliber. Transportable by 3 or fewer men, or one horse/pony.

I understand that they were effective out to 4000 paces. The Hessian Jaegers used them during the Rev War and they noted that Daniel Morgan's rifles had them as well.

Many Klatch

I have often wondered, when reading that shots were taken at so many paces or that the weapon was effective out to so many paces, just exactly what definition of, "pace" the writer was using.

Some people say that a pace = a step or, in other words, about 30".

Others, including myself, use a pace to signify about 58" or about 5 feet.

Apparently both definitions of a pace are valid and I end up scratching my head over what the actual distance of the shot was.

cynthialee said:
well I know that but the idea is similar

A big shot gun sending a whole lot of destruction down range.

if it was used by the hessians, their is a chance it could have been a rifled gun. they were fans of very large caliber rifles.

-matt

The Hessians Amusettes were rifled. A rifled 200 caliber ball would be at least the equal of a Barrett 50 cal today.

Many Klatch

Well 4000 30" paces is roughly 3300 yards or 1.8 miles. 4000 58" paces would be roughly 6400 yards. I can believe shooting 3300 yards with 200 caliber ball, but I'm not sure I am willing to believe in 6400 yards or 3.5 miles.

Many Klatch

Capt Johann von Ewald in his "Diary of the American War" speaks frequently of Amusettes & their use. I would think that while I might feel safe enough popping off Rounds at Hessians from behind a Stone or Brick Wall, improvised Earthworks, or piled up Fence Rails, a couple well placed shots from a 1" or 2" Bore Rifled Amusette would persuade me pretty quickly to un-ass the A.O. ...

The Jaegers used these to destroy enemy cannons at extended ranges. and destroy heavy door frames at extended range. How many shots would a wood framed cannon carriage take from this beastie? Ewald drew pictures of these on his battle maps. It would probably be the 18th century version of the Ma Duce used today

does any one know of an origional still in existance? im very curious as to how long the barrels on these were.

-Matt

grzrob said:
The Jaegers used these to destroy enemy cannons at extended ranges. and destroy heavy door frames at extended range. How many shots would a wood framed cannon carriage take from this beastie? Ewald drew pictures of these on his battle maps. It would probably be the 18th century version of the Ma Duce used today
neat!

My thoughts when I read that it was a rifle is it should be shot at cannons.

I can't be certain but it has always been my understanding that one pace = 2 steps. as to the inches I don't know :idunno:

These were the lightest forms of artillery used... I owned one about 15 years ago looked like a Yeager rifle on steroids.. full octagon swamped barrel rifled 80 caliber pin through stock to place it on yoke, I shot it out to 200 yards and could keep all inside a dinner plate at about 6" group... these were not used to destroy artillery but to kill the gunners... if you have no experianced gunners cannons are not very useful..... most armys had variations of these they were used here and called Wall guns I also had a 1" smooth bore also with octagon barrel swamped this one had a permanent yoke mounted to it through an iron reinforce there are of course short barreled "blunderbuss" versions also....
Rapahanic Forge during the American revolution built some 1" bore beasties.... these guns were ideal in the wilderness where a hasty fort was erected just as swivel guns were valued for this use.... Also the Hudson's bay company use wall guns.... this is an area of intrest of mine for many years.... I believe one of our english members has a video clip of him firing a British miltitary wall gun ..... Squirerobbin?

smoothbore addict said:
I can't be certain but it has always been my understanding that one pace = 2 steps. as to the inches I don't know :idunno:

I learned it the same way. A Pace is measured from where your left heel strikes the ground to where it strikes the ground a second time with a step in between: about 5 Roman feet.

Back