• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is this Greek?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
20231018_151308.jpg
20231018_151414.jpg
Looks like an Enfield to me. Has the Crown over VR . No clue what the lettering says. Maybe a broad arrow above it. Anybody?
20231018_151814.jpg
20231018_151814.jpg
20231018_151821.jpg

I’m not sure, but that doesn’t look like an enfield trigger guard to me? I think the lock stamping is just gibberish to fool an illiterate customer into thinking this is the genuine article. Kyber pass copy? Indian copy?

It's not British that's all I know. P53's and their knockoffs were the AK-47 of the 19th century. They were used and sent all over. So it wouldn't be unheard of if it was Greek marked, but probably not manufactured.

Another possibility is that the gun started life as a standard British Enfield that was sold to another government, which added it's own stampings as proof of current government property. Greek or otherwise. But then, to me, the bigger mystery is the trigger guard. Likely changed by a civilian at some later point. Maybe the large gap in front of the trigger allowed more access for gloves or mittens ?
Anyway, just speculating here.

Rick

View attachment 262041View attachment 262042Looks like an Enfield to me. Has the Crown over VR . No clue what the lettering says. Maybe a broad arrow above it. Anybody?
View attachment 262046View attachment 262046View attachment 262050
Up until modern times, the Khyber Pass craftsmen made very good copies of guns, handguns, etc., which were sold in the souks (markets) freely. The advent of 9/11 and modern Afghan wars put a stop to it, but I think your Enfield is one such. Let's see what the peanut gallery says. Some of the guns had "nonsense" markings, like you would see on the pre-War Chinese copies of pistols.

Last edited:
View attachment 262042Looks like an Enfield to me. Has the Crown over VR . No clue what the lettering says. Maybe a broad arrow above it. Anybody?

VICTORIAN STAMP.JPG

Yes, that's British. VR stands for Victoria Regina, which in Latin is "Queen Victoria". A lot of Bess have a GRIII stamp which is George Rex III, or King George the 3rd.

LD

Latest posts

Back