• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is there another source to access Michael Tromner's resources?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Vikingsword dot com website is down - anyone have another source to access Michael Tromner's resources?
I've tried several Ethnographic Arms links without much success...

They are running on a very outdated version of software. I have email and tried to assist in updating and archiving... alas... hope not permanently down. This has occurred before.
I also submitted the site to the "wayback" machine for permanently archiving. Not sure if it was ever included.

They are running on a very outdated version of software. I have email and tried to assist in updating and archiving... alas... hope not permanently down. This has occurred before.
I also submitted the site to the "wayback" machine for permanently archiving. Not sure if it was ever included.
Thank you for attempting to assist them in updating etc. Love the idea for permanently archiving too!
I did save some of the Tromner data to a backup drive, but not nearly all I would like to have. His detailed photos are absolutely without equal....

Well... thanks for the thanks... however... I did not do anything that caused this to work again. I will keep trying to help get the software for the site updates and archived.

Yes, his work needs to be saved somewhere. I don’t expect any of the “ professionals “ in the museum world to be interested in anything other than the highly decorated firearms used by royalty.

Yes, his work needs to be saved somewhere. I don’t expect any of the “ professionals “ in the museum world to be interested in anything other than the highly decorated firearms used by royalty.
That's one of the reasons Michael's collection was so interesting. His guns had that "made for military use" look to them. And most of the accessories also. It's a shame his collection was not able to be kept together. What a museum that would have made.

There is likely enough enthusiasts to help with the cost of upgrading and keeping the Website alive.

Rick

All - This last outage occurred when their hosting provider determined spam e-mail was originating from the website and identified a trojan within the file structure. The hosting provider shut the whole site down until it could be removed. Dr. Jones (the owner) is looking into different solutions to archive and keep the site up and running.
I will keep you updated!

William

UPDATE:
Great news - The Vikingsword site is back online again! Thanks to any & all who helped get it back again, esp. @PhDBrewer!
there is software called 'website crawler' that will download a website for you; if you want to archive it off then covert to pdf, that may be the way to go

there is software called 'website crawler' that will download a website for you; if you want to archive it off then covert to pdf, that may be the way to go
went to sourceforge.net and downloaded a Web Crawler/Spider
linkage <==
got the required MicroSoft OpenJDK downloaded and installed
I'll look at the documentation tomorrow when I get home and turn it loose on that web site to download it to my D:\ data drive, got 1.6 TB on it free once I get it all figured out
then set up a batch file to spin through that directory structure and output everything into a PDF file
dependent on how much of a PITA it will be, may also have it print each page to a MicroSoft OneNote page so that OneNote can search it for the desired text

Back