• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is Lyman GPR and Cabelas' Hawken the same ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timo

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just noticed that the Lyman GPR and Cabela's Hawkens look rather similar around the drum area. Are these made by the same company? I've had one of the Cabelas' Sporterized Hawkens before and didn't have a good experience with it. The clean out screw in the drum was ruined after removing it a couple of times for cleaning. Also, the accuracy just wasn't satisfactory. I realize the Lyman has a different twist rate etc, but if I got the Lyman would I just be trading one bad experience for another?
If they are made by the same company then is the Lyman a "step up" from the Cabelas' for quality?
I appreciate any input from you guys.

Thanks

FLINTER THE CABELA'S AND THE GPR ARE MADE BY THE SAME COMPANY
I WOULD HAVE TO SAY THE NEW GPR I PICK UP LAST YEAR SHOOTS GREAT ,BUT I DO HAVE THE HUNTER BARREL 1 IN 32 TWIST MADE FOR CONICAL AND SABOT BULLETS.
HAVE YOU CHECK OUT MIDSOUTH ON THE LYMAN GPR AS FAR AS PRICE WISE COMPARED TO CABELA'S YOU WILL SAVE ABOUT $90.00 FROM MIDSOUTH.

45flinter,.... Both the Lyman GPR, and the Cabela's Hawken, are made in Italy by Investarms. So are the Lyman Deerstalker, the Lyman Trade rifle, and Cabela's Sporterized Hawken.
However, the Lyman GPR is the only one of these rifles offered in the "slow" twist rifle'ns, the others have a 1-48" twist which is "supposed" to handle conicals and roundball equaly well.

Up until fairly recently, Investarms was use'n a small screw for a "clean-out" screw with small screw-driver-slot. The newer ones have an allen-head-screw for the clean-out!!

Several years ago, my son ran a small screw-driver "completely-thru" his hand, when a screw-driver slipped while try'n to remove a stubborn clean-out screw on a GPR I gave him.

Besides the small problem with the clean-out screw, and one other "uncommon" (but fixable) problem thet I described in anuther post, I think the Lyman GPR is the "BEST BUY" consider'n the price, of any production rifle on the market today "BAR NONE"!! The GPR offers excellent accuracy compareable to most any "custom" barrels, and the "lines" of the GPR are 'bout the most "authentic" of any production "Hawken style" rifle be'n produced.

I am "NOT" a Lyman distributor, but I am very fond of the Lyman GPR. If I didn't "stock" all my own rifles with "custom parts" from TOTW and other supply houses, I would definitely go back to shoot'n the Lyman GPR in competition and for hunt'n!!

Please describe the "bad experience" you had with yore Lyman product!

I would think the Lyman GPR is a small step up. But I wouldn't expect the insides of the lock or trigger to be much different. I have a GPR and for a production gun it is a good gun. I can't speak for a GPR percussion as mine is a flint, but I think all production guns could benefit with a RPL lock.

As for the clean out screw, why do you feel you need to remove it?
I also have a TC Renegade that is over 25 years old and the clean out screw has never been touched. If I remember correctly, back then, TC recommended not removing it.
All my cleaning has been done in a bucket of water, either with the nipple screwed in or sometimes removed. Removing the nipple allows you to clean the residue from the threads and allows a greater flow of cleaning water. This hole is bigger than most clean out screw holes I have seen.
I would say, leave the clean out screw alone and flush through the nipple.

Darkhorse,.... Thet's the "same thing" I told my son, when he called me and described his "accident"!! :applause:

45flinter,.... The "innards" of Investarm's locks are all the same,... only the outside varys from "plain" to "scroll"!

I don't like coil-springs, but Investarms seems to have purty good luck with'em!!

Thanks for your input guys!
rollingb: I didn't have any bad experience with a Lyman gun (in fact I've never owned one yet) but I did have a bad experience with the Cabela's Sporterized Hawken Carbine. The problem was as I described...ruined clean out screw (real flimsy) and HORRIBLE accuracy. So, my concern was if, as you informed me, both the Cabela's and the Lyman are made by Investarms of Italy then I hope that the Lyman is of better quality than has been my experience with the Cabelas Carbine.
It appears that you and many others on this post are happy with the Lyman GPR, so, my experience with the Investarm Cabelas Carbine was probably a fluke--that is, I must have gotten a "lemon" back then.

Darkhorse: QUOTE "but I think all production guns could benefit with a RPL lock". What is a RPL lock?

lonewolf5347: thanks for the Midsouth[url] tip...savin[/url]' some money is always a good thing!

Bottom line I think is that I must have had bad luck with my Investarm Cabelas Hawken Carbine. Many of you seem to really like the Lyman GPR and I think I'll therefore give it a try...but I promise I won't mess with the cleanout screw! :winking:

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take it from a new guy that listened to these fellows on this board and other BP shooters, they all said get the Lyman GPR, ( my first BP gun ) So I listened to them. well, They were right.LOL....I am totally pleased , out of the 15 guns I have its my favorite, Today shooting off hand standing, with my fuzzy eyes and shaky stance I was getting 2 inch groups at 50 yards, will shoot large one hole groups on the bench, This gun shoots better than me for sure. mine is the GPR 1 in 60 for PRB, in the kit, for 240 bucks at Midsouth. ..percussion.

45flinter,

I sold a knight disc rifle cause it were a pain in the arse, made me thing i was shoot'n something fancy but my GPR is more accurate than it was...

I love me GPR... (newbie addict I am) - I'm even start'n to get fond of the smell of BP!

What are you fellers discribe'n as a clean'n screw?

Spot

Spot: Just outboard of the nipple there is often a screw in the side of the breech. This screw is plugging a hole which was drilled to connect the nipple cavity with the patent breech powder chamber(or the bore). (Some patent breech designs don't use this method of connecting the nipple with the bore. They drill down thru the nipple hole at an angle to intersect the bore.)

Some people think they should remove this screw when they are cleaning their rifle.
IMO it is better to just leave it in place and remove the nipple during cleaning. That way you can't mess up the screw head (if it is a screw head) or strip out the hex (if it is an allen head set screw) or drive the screwdriver thru your hand if it slips.

I will say I have used this hole to pour powder into the barrel when I forgot to pour the powder down the barrel before ramming the ball home. (Lesson learned: don't talk with anyone while your reloading)

45flinter,
An RPL lock is a replacement lock made by L&R lock co. They make one to fit the Lyman, TC and some of the others. They only offer this lock in right hand. They do not offer it in LH or else I would have one. It should be a much better lock than the factory one. I know it is offered in Flint, I am not sure about percussion, nor do I really think it will help much in percussion.
RE Davis makes a replacement trigger assembly that will fit both TC and Lyman GPR. I do have one of these and it is a much nicer trigger.

Back