• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is Barrel WHIP possible?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montanadan

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was at another forum and reading that the thinner smooth bore barrels have a tendancy to " barrel whip".I have just started shooting my smoothbore,mine is a TVM barrel,20 gauge 42"(.620).At the muzzle it is thinner than a caywood,getz,or a colerain.At what point would you experience barrel whip,I would believe the thinner barrel may expand or contract at different at a different rate.I am not saying the TVM barrel is as good as a Getz or colerain.I am just trying understand what barrel whip actually is?Respectfully Montanadan

A better definition would be a harmonic vibration. All barrels have harmonic vibration when fired, which causes the barrel to whip. The degree of vibration has to do with thickness, length and what is attached to, or hanging from the barrel. To get an accurate shooter You have to keep the harmonic vibrations the same shot after shot. That is why a centerfire rifle can change point of impact by tightening or loosining the fore end screw. Hope that helps, Stubert

A round barrel is almost always going to give you barrel vibration or barrel " whip ", as you call it. All steel barrels exhibit harmonic waves when subjected to high pressure. Remember, that pressure that is pushing your ball or shot down the barrel is also trying to escape by pushing out on the barrel.

Octagon barrels then to have more metal to them than round barrels do. Octagon barrels consist of equal triangles which dampen barrel vibrations much better than any round barrel can do. In modern rifles, you will see very heavy round barrels use in target guns, or, to cut weight, you will see fluted barrels, that began life as a larger diameter heavy round barrel, and then had metal removed from the sides, by milling groove of equal depth in the barrel- sort of the opposite of cutting rifling on the inside of the barre. Those long, straight flutes created triangles, too, and that adds stiffness to the barrel, and dampens vibrations.

There will always be barrel harmonics, or waves when a gun is fired. However, its the thin, round barrels, often found on shotguns, and some smoothbore single barrel guns, that will vibrate the worst. The thinner the barrel is on a modern rifle, the more the barrel vibrates when fired. Those thin, whippy barrels that are put on some rifles help reduce the weight being carried, which is their main selling point, but the vibrate terribly, take some effort to zero in for a load, and then over heat with only a few shots. For the hunter, who may fire only one or two shots during an entire hunt, those qualities are not a problem. For someone who may have to shoot many more shots, and needs a gun with a barrel that will maintain its zero even when it gets hot, a heavier barrel will alomst always shoot better.

All these considerations are trade-offs. Nothing comes for free.

I wouldn't concern yourself with harmonics overly, (other than understanding that they are there) because one of the reasons that you work up a accurate load development is also to make them work for you. Just another part of tuning.

More than the whip, the problem with the thinner barrels can be the expansion from heating. They get hot pretty fast and will expand in length. If the barrel is pinned tightly, the expansion can cause the gun to shoot off-target on the third or fourth shot. The thinner barrels will also suffer from mirage on top of the barrel between the sights quicker as well.

Many Klatch

All barrels will whip or vibrate to a degree. The trick is to get it to vibrate the same from shot to shot. Consistency equals accuracy. Once you find a load that puts 'em center you don't need to concern yourself with the whip. A thinner barrel will heat up quicker but it will also cool quicker. BTW, your TVM barrel was likely made by Getz or Colerain or some other barrel manufacturer. It is a matter of what TVM ordered that determines the barrel wall thickness. I've never heard of a TVM that wouldn't shoot.

LaffinDog

Thanks to all that responded.I was pretty sure they were talking about barrel harmonics,being new to this smoothie shooting never hurts to ask.The TVM barrel shoots very well,groups are good(when I do my part)still working on a good load.Thanks again...Respectfully Montanadan

Back