• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is any flintlock all that for everyone?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich pierce

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Should have titled it "Why we defend our guns"

I think there is much more than price and perceived value that determine whether a particular flintlock rifle is defended. At the heart of it for most people is that they must be right.

1) If I bought one of those rifles, it was a good deal and it IS HC/PC if that's what I need it to be. Otherwise I was played for a fool, and that ain't happening.

2) If I can't afford a rifle like that, it ain't no better than what I can afford. Otherwise it would suck to be me.

3) If I do all the research and spend resources (time and money) to get a great or PC/HC rifle, and you didn't, my rifle is "better" than yours.

The problem with these positions are that they are dependent on others. Better to try to view your stuff more objectively. If it works for you, just say, "works for me" as opposed to "darn right it's top notch!"

I learned a long time ago to live my life for me, and that makes me happy. Don't care if your a better turkey, deer, duck hunter, whatever, you probably are, but I'm still happy when I know I've done my best. I win some, come up short often, but learn everyday. There is room to enjoy this hobby on many levels.

On this thought I might be a bit off, but I'm just doing the best I can. The same as the folks who came before us in whatever period you may choose to emulate. Isn't that historically correct?

To me, its simple:

"...Everything depends on a customer’s wants and needs...everything..."

Well said Rich! I have several guns that "work for me" just fine. Are they the best? Nope. But they are lots of fun.

I seriously considered a very nice custom at a recent CLA show, but when I sat back and realized I hadn't spent that much on 2 of my current guns and the 02 Jeep Wrangler I drove to the show, I thought better of it.

I will defend my guns only to the extent that they fulfill MY needs. Everyone else is on their own.

I find that when I'm buying something I always like it a whole lot better when I bought what I liked as opposed to buying something that somebody else thought I should buy because they liked it.Particularly firearms. :grin:

Scots Jim said:
I find that when I'm buying something I always like it a whole lot better when I bought what I liked as opposed to buying something that somebody else thought I should buy because they liked it.Particularly firearms. :grin:

That's likely true for most of us at least. Well stated. :thumbsup:

If Its accurate,holds a tight group,throws a consistent pattern..that's my priority...
The rest is a bonus...
Shooting BP is just fun what ever your tastes!.
That's the best part of this hobby..how deep do you want to dive?
We all enjoy it and that's what counts in the end.
Now pass the powder! and the lead!

too much fun!
IMG_19161.jpg

ericmla.jpg

IMG_1072.jpg

hanshi said:
Scots Jim said:

That's likely true for most of us at least. Well stated. :thumbsup:

Yes, well said. :thumbsup:

I buy or trade for what I like and what I can afford.
No other reasons, no justification, and for sure no argument.
I respect everybody else's righ t be the same way.

I find that when I'm buying something I always like it a whole lot better when I bought what I liked ”¦

That is a fine statement until you get on a forum, well, like the one you are on, and some folks just have to tell you, how big a piece of junk it is.

If it makes smoke; it's good. I've never met a gun I didn't like, well, maybe there were a couple a long time ago, but it's basically true. I may not really warm up to (rhetorical "yours") and (rhetorical you) may not warm up to mine but I will not dislike it at all. "woo whoo", they be fun. :2

ebiggs said:
I find that when I'm buying something I always like it a whole lot better when I bought what I liked ”¦

That is a fine statement until you get on a forum, well, like the one you are on, and some folks just have to tell you, how big a piece of junk it is.

LMAO Yea,but it's my very own prized piece of junk,I might not like their piece of junk either.It's like lettin' a woman pick out your clothes. :blah:

Scots Jim said:
ebiggs said:

LMAO Yea,but it's my very own prized piece of junk,I might not like their piece of junk either.It's like lettin' a woman pick out your clothes. :blah:

Yeah no kiddin, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question.

I think a person's flintlock is all that to them, mebbe not for everyone, it depends on what level of this sport they are into. A little over a year ago I built my first flintlock, a Pedresoli Kentucky Pistol. When I posted pictures of it I got nothing but compliments and encouragement. I then did an Ivestarms "hawken" and again when I posted pictures I got nothing but encouragement and compliments. Now we get to this week, I posted pictures of my first build from a parts assembly. I know this rifle is butt ugly and can't even compare to the rifles most of these craftsmen on this forum build, but I still got nothing but encouragement and compliments even if it junk, no one said anything like that. I think most of the members of this forum have way too much class for that, and that is the kind of attitude that keeps guys like me in the sport. So for me at my level my guns are all that to me just like the guys that have been building for forty years, I am sure their guns are all that to them. Sorry for the rant :redface: but I just think these are pretty good folks in this forum. :hatsoff:

I think you are right nmdd; to a point. Since I have been a member here, the only major arguments I have seen develop were regarding factory vs. stock and India made junk supporters vs. those of us who hate India made junk. I read every added post of this thread and the TVM thread with baited breath. It does speak well of the members that no blood has been spilled...yet!

Well,

I spose I see things a bit differently than many.

I have made a living for the last 25 years telling people exactaly what they had, good or bad, and what it was gonna take to fix. No sugar coating or beating around the bush, straight and to the point, if they didn't want to know they shoulden't have asked, or should have called somebody else.

Every one of my customers have mentioned, either to me or to another customer, how much they appreciated the honesty.

In todays politically correct environment where we have to tip toe around everybodys feelings by telling them what we think they need to hear, or what they want to hear, I personally think we are doing a great disservice to all involved.

I look at the very first rifle I built and shudder at the sight of it,(knowledge is a dangerous thing) I've been told it looks great and I did a fantastic job on it ( maybe the people giving the praise just don't know any better), but seriously its a mess. But I shoot that thing every chance I get, and I am proud of it.

The last rifle I built has issues (architecture) and it stems from the whole pre-carve thing, they are a mess out of the box. I am ready to step up my game to become a better builder, and that will come from honest critique not from people telling me what they think I need to hear.

We are all adults here and adults don't always agree on everything.

I've been around these forums a long time, I have made a few friends and been shunned by many others because of my outspoken (honest opinion) ways, h%77 I'm in roundballs lead box for being honest, I'm ok with it.

But if your gonna post pictures on the internet and ask what people think about whats in those photos you had better be prepared for the fact that not everybody is gonna praise it, some folks may very well point out some things that are wrong with it, take it for what it is (honest opinion) and deal with it.

If you don't want to know that somebody doesn't like your artsy touch, or they don't care for the rifle you built or had built, then don't ask for the input, keep the pictures to yourself

Or probably the easiest way to avoid all of these little conflicts is to state at the top of your post that you only want praising comments of your work or choice of firearm/builder, maybe that will work better in the end.

Sorry, I'm finished now.

"Sorry, I'm finished now."

No reason to be sorry, honesty is the best policy and I stated in my latest rifle post "constructive criticism and flames are welcome" :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back