• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Instant addiction to BP

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Nolin

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello from Fort Collins, CO! I'm a long-time shooter, but only discovered muzzleloading fun this past summer. I visited my college roommate for the first time in about 20 years, and he took me shooting in the desert outside of LV. But no "black guns" or other modern contrivances here! Percussion and flintlock rifles and pistols only. He totally changed my perspective. What fun! You mean, I can spend an entire day at the range, shoot maybe only 50 rounds, spend no more than $20, and have a blast??? Wow. Whole new world. I've devoured the Lyman BP manual and other classics. I bought a TC .50 "Hawken" (along with lots of interesting traditional gear and rendezvous items) from a gentleman, and a Pedersoli .50 Rocky Mountain Hawken from the Cabela's bargain basement. In addition to fun shooting, I'm looking forward to trying to take an elk during the muzzleoading season next year. Anyway, I'm impressed with the knowledge base here, and just wanted to introduce myself.

Ya, yer hooked, once ya go black ya never go back. I was hooked at age 12. You should really enjoy yourself in like 4-5 years when you find yourself making excuses to the wife about the new musket you MUST have. I just getting into bp shotguns now. Try revolvers, they are a hoot (till ya have to clean em, but thats fun too?.

Lapoudre, great choice of a name! There is a passel of very fine folks on this board from Colorado, which is simply a fabulous place to be interested in BP.
You'll be wanting a smoothbore to round out your collection, what with all the turkeys, waterfowl, grouse, etc. that inhabit your neck of the woods.

hi lapoudre. welcome.i lived in fort collins back in the late 70s,beautiful area pictures do not do colorado justice.have fun,rick

I appreciate the welcome from all! Thank you. I choose the name in part because of my French-Canadian heritage, but mostly because of our local river, the Cache la Poudre. Sometime around the 1820s, French trappers and voyageurs are said to have become snowed in on the bank of this river (near our city). They dug a large pit and placed their kegs of blackpowder inside, burying them. This lightened their wagons enough that they were able to make it to the fort at Laramie despite the snow and mud. They were able to retrieve them the next Spring, but during the whole of that winter, they referred to the place where the powder was hidden: la cache de la poudre.

Back