• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Inline Flintlock Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Happy Holiday's Everyone,

I am looking for a very specific rarity even a picture of the internals would be helpful.
It is my understanding the 1700's there was an in-line flintlock action by Stanislaus Paczelt.
inline flint.JPG
inline 2.jpg

I have a memory of reading someplace back in the 80's that there was an inline flintlock Pistol.
Mindful this could be a memory tilted by time from a visit to a library in Calais, ME or Clark, NJ maybe a conversation when I lived In Kempton PA with a BP legend?
If anyone has photos of the internal workings a drawing patent info etc. I would be very grateful for your efforts in sharing.

BR
James

Nock or Manton of English gun making history made a Flintlock under hammer fowler. Look for a book on them it will have a picture. In the meantime I will see if I have a reference.
Carney

To those looking at the thread thinking didn't we already cover this?
I will apologize for starting a new thread. But with that said I was unaware of the old threads till I searched in the forum itself and the info found within was interesting but alas incomplete.

I may be just looking for something that didn't impress a king before the inventor was committed to the asylum...

Type in Nick Under hammer Flintlock in search engine and scroll through the pictures. Some original flint locks and alot of perc. They look like you built a center hammer box lock upside down.
There was a Gentleman at Vipond park Western Rendezvous from the left coast, Oregon or Washington
he built one and it handled great, He also had a Puckett gun he built, Google that one also.

Carney

I'm not sure if you're asking about one specific pistol, of in-line flint pistols in general. A friend of mine has this one that was a family heirloom. I don't know anything about its history, but it was a neat little thing.
View attachment 110361View attachment 110362
View attachment 110363
That is a Belgium made box lock flintlock pocket pistol which probably was a screw barrel before some one soldered ramrod tubes on the side .You can see a line of punch marks on the barrel/action body which makes me think the barrel had a habit of coming loose and someone has tried to make the join tighter .or it had been converted from screw barrel to ramrod use for some reason.
I do like the safety system which locks down the frizzen . There were tens of thousands of this type of pistol made . In the days before street lighting was invented and for some time after they were carried for self defense in a gentleman's coat pocket or even a specially made pocket , usually in pairs . I have sold dozens of these pistols over the years , mostly collectors would not bother with them , but recently they have become collectable in their own right .

One thing you should notice in the drawing is that it is fitted with a coil spring . I came across these drawings 30+ years ago when I was trying to find if early firearms used coil springs . It also used a firing pin of a sort .

That is a Belgium made box lock flintlock pocket pistol which probably was a screw barrel before some one soldered ramrod tubes on the side .You can see a line of punch marks on the barrel/action body which makes me think the barrel had a habit of coming loose and someone has tried to make the join tighter .or it had been converted from screw barrel to ramrod use for some reason.
I do like the safety system which locks down the frizzen . There were tens of thousands of this type of pistol made . In the days before street lighting was invented and for some time after they were carried for self defense in a gentleman's coat pocket or even a specially made pocket , usually in pairs . I have sold dozens of these pistols over the years , mostly collectors would not bother with them , but recently they have become collectable in their own right .

I feel may be an odd fellow out in this group, I have more time in the shop making firearm repairs, improvements or restorative activities than researching history. I simply devoted time to family, multiple jobs, education, my community and Model T Fords. Now that I have a little more time I've been burrowing through page by page of an ever growing muzzle loading library and attempting to align a design of what may be considered historically relevant reproductions of unique flintlock pistols.

This may be a story of taking ones work and making it a hobby but only crafted out of the specific elements, I enjoyed from working on firearms. My intention is to make fewer items at a higher level of quality offer repair and restoration as a part of the fun but this time as an effort on my own, this will be different & The coffee pot shall always be hot. We purchased a location with prior firearms experience, ample parking, a private entrance, water closet and enough amperage to support machines.

As a one man start up, setting the equipment in place has been the challenge with the help of a 14 year old youngster. Right now I'm healing up from moving in a 4 spindle cast iron stock carver ( yes with removable long stock attachment...).

w8 02.png

I'm long winded but I feel detail is important.

James

One thing you should notice in the drawing is that it is fitted with a coil spring . I came across these drawings 30+ years ago when I was trying to find if early firearms used coil springs . It also used a firing pin of a sort .
One I have a memory of had an external leaf spring on a bolt like rod. I clearly remember thinking where’s the lock?

I have one of these that I have shot a fair bit but not recently. It's .45 calibre smooth-bore and was Custom Made in the UK for the previous owner. I have to say it is very reliable, 15 shots without a single mis-fire, at least on a par with my Hege Manton!
D00F80EB-2982-42D3-A5AA-1F07866BBDE0_1_201_a.jpeg

John,

Very cool pistol I always pondered the laws of gravity in such a set up.

BR
James
I have shot all my flintlocks upside down ,and much to my surprise and delight all worked perfectly . ,
If you are going to try this do it away from your loading area and powder horn . and don't forget the flash hole will be pointing towards your body .

I have one of these that I have shot a fair bit but not recently. It's .45 calibre smooth-bore and was Custom Made in the UK for the previous owner. I have to say it is very reliable, 15 shots without a single mis-fire, at least on a par with my Hege Manton!View attachment 110777
That is a good way , if not the only way to get useable sights on a central hammer boxlock pistol

I have one of these that I have shot a fair bit but not recently. It's .45 calibre smooth-bore and was Custom Made in the UK for the previous owner. I have to say it is very reliable, 15 shots without a single mis-fire, at least on a par with my Hege Manton!View attachment 110777
that is amazing I would think that the powder would fall out at least some of it before ignition ocurs. what ever would the purpose of such a pistol? just courious? BRW, I rely would like to be the new kid on the block with one!!

that is amazing I would think that the powder would fall out at least some of it before ignition ocurs. what ever would the purpose of such a pistol? just courious? BRW, I rely would like to be the new kid on the block with one!!
I gather it was made for MLAIC competition shooting. It has a perfect, un-interrupted sight picture which is a bonus when shooting flintlock as the 'experts' tell me, for correct follow-through you must concentrate on the muzzle flash and ignore the pan flash.
You are right in your assumption as the only real down-side with the pistol is, if you overload the priming pan you end up with a quantity of unburnt priming powder on the table, a potential hazard if you let it build up. I have never shot it in MLAGB competition but in practice it's very accurate and equally as reliable as a 'right-way-up' flintlock!

Back