• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Info help needed regarding Morristown,OH Gunmaker's gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1897Mike

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Have located an A#1 percussion Pennsylvania muuzzleloader made in 19th century by J. T. Sipe of Morristown, Ohio: about .36 cal., rifled octagon barrel, tiger maple w/ cheek piece, brass thimbles, trigger guard & buttplate, nose cap appears to be brass, no patch box, Joseph Manton lock, and set trigger. Sipe was born in 1797 and lived in Morristown, Ohio until at least 1850. I found some information that indicates that he moved further West in about 1850. Does anyone know where I might find more information about him or this gun? :hmm: I believe I've exhausted the Internet. Thanks. :hatsoff:

I have two listings for J.T.Sipe. Woodsfield, Monroe county, 1860 and also Morristown Post office, Belmont county, 1860. Both counties are in south eastern Ohio, adjacent to each other. I don't quite understand both listings being 1860 and think one or the other is probably a mistake. I also have a listing for George Sipe in Stark county but don't know if there is a relationship. Hope it helps, sorry there is not more. I don't know where you are located but we are holding our annual Ohio Long rifle Collectors show in Marietta on the 1st and 2nd of April at the Lafayette Hotel. The public is invited and you can see 400+ Ohio rifles on display. Perhaps someone there may have more info.
Mark :hmm:

Thanks for the info Papa. I will try Marietta. I went to this event many years ago

Back