• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Inexpensive loading tube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder14

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I figured I would post this I know guys are always looking to carry separate BP while hunting this is what I use I know not traditional but for those who waver a little only .15 cents at the florist supply store better than $4 or $5 that I see online.This small one will hold 110gr of FF
296B5B9E-22C6-45D0-86E0-15DCDBB292D6.jpeg

You know, you just might be onto something ... as I was going to reply, and not in a snide way at all, about how I use traditional paper cartridges.

Then I got to thinking ... I will be going on a week long BP muzzleloading hunt in the Fall, that I am paying thousands of dollars for, along with 5 buddies where we will be flown into the remote camp.

I will be the only one hunting with a muzzleloader and real black powder, so while I still plan on using paper cartridge loads, one of those at the bottom of my possibles bag could SAVE my hunt!

If you know a nurse, get them to give you some of those plastic blood sample tubes with the rubber plug. ;)

upload_2019-3-7_17-48-1.png

Years ago I bought a piece of PVC tubing and cut it to lengths and fitted them with cork & rubber stoppers. Some I even used standard end caps.

Look at a craft store in the beading supplies area. They have great individual plastic tubes with stoppers or lids and are cheap. I use them for my revolvers. I'd like to use paper cartridges but have had bad luck in the one time I've used them.

I use to make paper cartridges; lots of them. I found out that I spent just as much time making paper cartridges as I did shooting. Then I discovered the marvelous invention of the rubber thread protector.

As you can see in the photo below the rubber thread protector contains the powder. To keep the lubricant from contaminating the powder, I take a plastic grocery bag and wrap a section around the base of the Minie ball; similar to the way you would use the cloth to patch a round ball.

I stick the ball with plastic around it in the tube then cut with knife or scissors, leaving a patch of plastic bag to protect the powder from the lubricant. This also prevents the lubricant from sticking to the inside of the rubber tube.

58 Cal Quick Load.jpg

I do the same thing with smaller tubes for the .36 and .44 Caliber revolver.

44 cal Quick Load.jpg

Here is the link to the seller. You pick a length and inside diameter smaller than the size of your ball.

For example, I chose a tube that was .535" ID and 3" long for the .58 Minie Ball.

For the .36 caliber revolver use a tube with a .355" ID and 1 or 1 1/2 inches long. I use the longer length as it works good for a 20 grain charge.

For the .44 caliber revolver use a tube with a .437" ID and 1 or 1 1/2 inches long depending on your powder charge. If you are using a 20-30 grain charge the shorter length is good. On the other hand, I need the longer length for a 40 grain charge for my 3rd model Dragoon. That's about all I can squeeze in the 1 1/2 inch tube.

They don't have online ordering. Just make a call to the number of the dealer closest to you from the information on the contact page.

They are great to deal with.

http://www.argonusa.com/color_coded_vinyl_caps.php

If you know a nurse, get them to give you some of those plastic blood sample tubes with the rubber plug. ;)
So...

* Have you tested what effects the K2EDTA, K3EDTA, Lithium Heparin or Sodium Heparin additives to those tubes will have on your powder?

* What about the Clot Activator used in plastic blood tubes?

* And what if they give you a Serum Separator gel tube?

Heaven forbid they give you a used tube -- can you spell Medical Waste and INFECTION RISKS?

Old No7

Doesn't anybody carry a small flask ? Why carry ten tubes when I can carry one small flask ? The last thing I want is more stuff to carry.

Back