• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Inexpensive Flintlock: Fun, or Frustration?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many Klatch is correct and so are the others...

Look, you couldn't touch a barrel and a lock for less than nearly $400... so as a project, as something to learn on, and maybe something that you can get into good shooting condition, give it a try. If not, sell it.

LD

if your brother likes tinkering with em buy it and if you encounter a problem you cant overcome by asking for advice turn it over to your brother and have him attempt to get it right. if your brother doesnt want to mess with it either find someone else to help you or sell it again. has your brother seen the rifle?? if not can you get him to go with you and check the bore and lock with you??
another option is to keep looking here and places like gun broker, i have seen some pretty decent guns going for under 400 bucks.

creek

I have one of these. One of the first rifles I ever bought. Got it second hand and won a 100yd comp on the same day. The lock has been worked on a bit, as the geometry was out, but I've never worked out why it shot so good. When you put a light down the business end, it looks like someone just waved it at the rifling machine. I still take it to the range quite often, even though I have much prettier guns. Buy it and have fun.(mine works best with 40 grs 3f and a .437 ball. Can't remember patch size at the mo)
Simon C

call l and r locks to see if one of there replacement locks will drop in. if they do and u can get the gun for 175 to 200 and it needs a lock that's another 125.would be a good starter gun as the locks on them are the main problem except ones made by pedrosoli. never had a problem with one of theres.

I'd do two things. First ask if you can run a patch through the bore to see if it is clean and not all rusty. If it is okay, then try the lock to see if it sparks. If it gives a nice shower of sparks, buy it. It should work just fine if the bore is good and it sparks nicely and will at least get you started. Later, you may decide to get something a bit more expensive. You will need to discover the load that it wants in order to shoot well. My best advice to you is to go to www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com and order one of Dutch's systems. If you carefully read and follow exactly what he tells you, you can have your rifle cutting Xs if you do your part. You do what Dutch says and you will have the prefect load for your rifle figures out in the least amount of time and be patting yourself on the back for being smart enough to buy and use his system. It is the best $20 you can possibly spend on muzzleloading. You won't be sorry.

If the nay sayers make you decide not to buy this rifle, let me know and send me the address and phone number of the shop that has it and I will buy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had one back in the early 70's in percussion. VERY accurate with a .429 ball, thick patch and a 3f powder amount that I cannot recall. Fit and finish was similar to Pedersolis of that period. The only downside - and I really disliked this - was that the ramrod hole in the stock was bored really short, so the rod was furnished with a screw-on extension about six inches long. I have no idea why they were built this way. Seemed stupid at the time and still does. Other than that, a fine .44 caliber rifle.

Flint62Smoothie said:
I'm his brother ... but the report is YES he bought it! If he didn't I would have kicked his arse, then bought it myself. Heck, I even offered him the ca$h to go get it!
Thanks bro, for updating the forum! You can "kick my arse" on the range when we shoot!

To all others...

THANKS for the variety of feedback on all responses. :hatsoff:

I will issue a new post with some pix and thoughts on preparations and initial impressions some time soon... Overall though, they're pretty favorable (for what it is), and I'm optimistic this will be a good shooter/intro to flintlocks for me.

Tight groups!

Old No7

Back