Indian Muskets

Discussion in 'Smoothbore' started by TheTyler7011, Mar 19, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Sep 8, 2019 #241

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

40 Cal. MLF Supporter

Sold as unshootable vs rendered unshootable, then sold.
    Two completely different scenarios.
    Why not say so in the first place?

2. Sep 8, 2019 #242

SDSmlf

SDSmlf

SDSmlf

40 Cal.

Would think any expert would understand sold as ‘impossible to shoot’ means it was sold as ‘impossible to shoot’.
    upload_2019-9-7_23-31-22.jpeg

FlinterNick likes this.
  3. Sep 8, 2019 #243

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

40 Cal. MLF Supporter

Great video!
    3X normal charge..... Don't think I would want to shoulder that one!
    I think I am just going to stick with with the standard charge.....
    (Great persona!) Don't know how period correct that outfit is because I am not into that (yet), but dang - that's kool looking!

Mad L likes this.
  4. Sep 8, 2019 #244

FlinterNick

FlinterNick

FlinterNick

40 cal - b

It was a reworked project gun I picked up for a small sum, less than 400 I think.

It was reworked too much to the point it had rendered the musket (discriminating general gun) in poor condition. The stock wouldn’t take stain, the teakwood grain was too tight, I ended up using left over dye I had.

The lock internals were soft, I had a very difficult time hardening the parts and the frizzen just would not spark, when I tried to harden the parts, the gave off colors that were not common of high carbon steel, which made me think it was a mixture of alloys, almost like tool steel. I was not going to replace the frizzen if the rest of the lock isn’t adequate.

Upon inspection of the barrel what at first seemed like a very thick heavy .75 caliber barrel ended up being drilled off center causing one side of the barrel wall to be almost muzzle thin, this is just not fixable.

Good thing there is a market for fake guns like Denix, I ended up getting around 300 with the bayonet and sling, its in someone’s office collecting dust.

The last Indian gun I worked was basically just a modification to the lock to make the gun seem more authentic, there was a slight gap in the breech plug because the plug wasn’t threaded all the way down. the barrel seemed ok, over polished and a touch hole was drilled through to the other side, so there was about a .25 mm hole to the other side (interior) this gun I didn’t own, but I did give back with a poor option for shooting. The owner had said he shot it a few times with no issues.

NG

5. Sep 8, 2019 #245

RAEDWALD

RAEDWALD

RAEDWALD

40 Cal.

FWIW the 1775 Bess Musket Proof charge was 642 grains. In modern powders I routinely used 124 grains/8 grams down the barrel as per the 1840's service load of comparable powder.

The British and German proof loads far exceed the Loyalist (allegedly per Italian) loads and the Germans do it 5 times. Indian muskets still routinely pass.

6. Sep 8, 2019 #246

FlinterNick

FlinterNick

FlinterNick

40 cal - b

Yes, my intention Was it can’t be fired.

7. Sep 8, 2019 #247

springfield art

springfield art

springfield art

40 cal - b

Looks great! Smart to test barrel by itself; won't harm wood if it blows! I always think back to the simple instructions in the Dixie catalog; seemed to make sense.

Mad L likes this.
  8. Sep 8, 2019 #248

Mad L

Mad L

Mad L

32 Cal

Loyalist Arms says to always proof with Stock removed as they will guarantee the barrel for proofing but Not the stock.

9. Sep 8, 2019 #249

Mad L

Mad L

Mad L

32 Cal

Thanks Griz44Mag.
    The persona is from my pirate yarrs, seeing as how it was a sea musket being proofed *lol*
    Other then a few 'dandy liberties' the whole persona is period correct for a late 1600 to early 1700 sea fareing buccaneer/pirate. The shoes are Loyalist Arms replicas from the Whyda, slops I obtained from the Master & Commander wardrobe annex, the shirt & vest my wife made from linen using period patterns.

But alas, I have left the sea behind and tooken to the hills now, in search of beaver....