• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Indian gunsmiths and use of rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlemaster

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is a little tid bit I found last night while looking up some information for a friend. I hope Okwaho and others may find this of some interest.

"The Delaware Indians use no other than rifle-barrelled guns, having satisfied themselves that these are the best for shooting accurately. They have acquired considerable skill in making minor repairs when their weapons get out of order. Some have even learned to furnish them with stocks, neatly and well made. An Indian really intent on making something will not spare pains or time in accomplishing his purpose even when he has not seen the thing made and takes great pride in the work of his hands. Among nations living farther inland the rifle-barrelled guns are rare and muskets are more commonly found, often in very poor condition, except among the Shawnanose [Shawanese] who know and value the rifle-barrelled gun."

This is from David Zeisberger's "History of the Northern American Indians" pg 85 (written in 1779 and 1780)
Reprinted by Arthur W. McGraw in 1991
permission of the Ohio Historical Society
Originally published in 1910 by the Ohio State Archaeological and Historical Society vol xix

Regards, Dave

I've got a quite a bit of stuff on Indians and rifles. Real busy right now, I'll post what I have sometime this weekend.

I am very much interested here and would like to offer the following:At Boughton Hill,a grave site in Ontario County, N.Y.a single burial site was located which contained a miscellany of four hundred and twenty six flintlock parts."The cache was in the form of a single mass,depositrd at the back of the head and presumably was at one time the contents of a sack.Oxidation had progressed to a considerable degree at the periphery,while towards the core the separate elements were found to be in serviceable condition, so serviceable in fact that subsequently they were assembled into a complete functioning locks with which muskets were fired","Flintlocks Of The Iroquois 1620-1687"
by Joseph R. Mayer M.D.,F.R.M.{1943} PP.32-34 {partial photograph @P.33} Thought you all would be interested.
Tom Patton

Addendum: Dr.Mayer further stated @ P.33, Again it might be suggested that this fellow was the village gunsmith. This would be plausible had his tools been found,evidently he had none",Same reference as above post.
Tom Patton

Okwaho
I had hoped you had something like that. After I read that paragraph in Ziesberger's History.. I rememberd that Hamiliton illustrated a cache of rather crude gunsmiths tools and some spare parts from the "Tunica Hoard" and theres were the only two instances I had heard of concerning Indian gunsmiths in the 18th century.
Thanks for the additional informaion.

Regards, Dave

Back