• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Indian corn genetics

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had an odd kernel of the Flint variety pop (incompletely as you described above).

I think "bloody butcher" is the flour variety....but I'm not sure.

I'll be the first to admit..... This is more complex than I imagined.... :shocked2:

Have you ever planted pumpkins from seeds from a store bought pumpkin or had them come up voluntarily the next year....only to have different pumpkins than what you had purchased......

NO, but I don't raise pumpkins. However, I do raise tomatoes, cherry and heirloom, and I found that my dog likes cherry tomatoes, and apparently would help himself to one or two from time to time. These of course held seeds, and apparently because they were grown adjacent to different tomatoes, cross pollination happened. So..., the following year I would get tomato plants "planted" by the dog the previous fall (no doubt some seeds survived going through the dog - based on where these odd tomato plants sprouted :shocked2: ). Well one year I let several of the "dogmato" plants mature as I was curious. Some very odd tomatoes appeared...too large to be "cherry" and oddly shaped, more like Roma tomatoes, but not "right" for those either.

:idunno:

LD

When I was 8-9 years old, hybrid seed corn was relatively new. My dad planted a small field of about 10-15 acres with one particular variety. This was irrigated corn in Nebraska in the mid 1950's. A large portion of that particular variety reverted to "parent" stock with very poor yields and it was colored like indian corn. He was madder than a nest of hornets and the seed company was was real helpful in that they offered some free seed for the next year.

The up side is I sold the "indian corn" to some of the local grocery stores for Fall decorations etc. We did plant a few rows of the corn for several years for the same reason. The ears varied from multicolor with blue, yellow, white kernels to some ears that were a deep reddish bronze color.

I've still been playing around with this corn trying to make something tasty out of it....
Cone pone = fail
Boiled pudding = fail
parched corn = edible but hard to eat.

Soaked for a day and deep fried = better but not quite a corn nut.

Next up.....Nixtamal.

I had some difficulty getting the hulls to come loose, so some corn was overcooked and falling apart.

I boiled the corn for 1.5 hours in a solution of water and baking soda....The fried in oil.(homemade corn nuts) Tastes the best so far.....and the best version of parched corn, but the search for tasty still continues...

UKFYcEW.jpg

Not the only one - but one of the few.

Sometimes I make something just because I can. Portable soup, for example. Likely one of the most time-consuming ways to make soup-starter.

I even collected the stomach from this year's deer, emptied, washed, scraped and rinsed it with the intention of making haggis or menudo - Quite a process. It is currently frozen until I decide its final disposition.

I'm sometimes too curious (or stubborn) for my own good...

Black Hand said:
I even collected the stomach from this year's deer, emptied, washed, scraped and rinsed it with the intention of making haggis or menudo - Quite a process. It is currently frozen until I decide its final disposition.

I'm sometimes too curious (or stubborn) for my own good...
:shocked2: ...I bet emptying it was fun.... :barf:

Latest posts

Back