• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

India Bess vs Northstar West kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortstart

36 Cal.
Reaction score
opinions please
I have to acquire a Brown Bess type weapon for a reenaactment group that I've joined. Circa 1755-1761. I'm debating the Northstar West "Officers Model Fusil" in kit form versus one of the less expensive guns from either MVT or Loyalist Arms. I already have a number of nice custom guns and am not really interested in buying something cheap. But, in the interest of not beating up a fine gun in the battle reenactments, I am considering a Ranger musket from MVT or the Officers model from Loyalist. There have been mixed reviews on these guns and I understand they are not top shelf stuff. If you had to choose between MVT and Loyalist which would you choose and why? Thanks to all for any imput you may choose to share with me.

I have not bought anything from MVT but have made several purchases from Blair at Loyalist Arms. I have always been very satisfied with Loyalist's service. I know thet go over their guns and "fine-tune" them to insure customer satisfaction. When I needed minor repairs they were quick, no fuss, and rarely charged even when well out of warantee period. Good folks who know muzzle loaders and reenactor's needs.

For me, this would be a no brainer. I would absolutely go with NSW especially if I were going to shoot it. If your just looking for a prop gun for reenacting then maybe a reworked Indian gun might work.

I'd go with Loyalist Arms. I think they carry the best versions (best quality control) of India-made reenactment guns. I have a Loyalist Arms 1728 French Infantry musket .69 that is going on 5 years now. Thousands of blanks fired through it and it just keeps on ticking. I have had the frizzen rehardened a few times, but no other issues.

If you need a "Brown Bess type" gun, why not get a 1st model Brown Bess from Loyalist? Why Officer's fusil? Are you a common soldier or an officer? British regular or Provincial troops?

I would imagine your unit recommends a specific model? What unit did you join... I'd like to know when I am shooting at you.

Surely you jest. I have owned both,and NSW is by far the better of the two . It won't fail you when the chips are down.

Thanks for the imput guys. Much appreciated.
In response to hunts4deer, we are a Highland regiment and the majority of the members are carrying either shortened Bess's or the smaller, lighter officer's models. I'm new to this Highland stuff having been pretty much of a scout-hunter type so right now I'm just working on fitting in. I do put value on historically correct so, we'll see what happens. Unless you're French or Indian we probably won't get to shoot at each other. Also, I'm getting up in years so lighter is better. And, I do plan on shooting and hunting with whatever I end up with. Thanks for the imput.

I have recently acquired a Ranger musket from MVTCo, and I couldn't be happier. As with regards to India guns, MVTCo is the way to go.

Here's a quick picture of mine.

IMG_0859 by SoloDallas, on Flickr

PS in the case one might wonder what level of quality I am used to, I mostly own Pedersoli and Uberti black powder guns, including a couple of Besses (2nd model and Carbine) etc.

With specific regard to the quality of my own MVTCo Ranger Musket, I consider it just slightly lower than Pedersoli, and nothing that can't be fixed, for half the price.

(My Pedersolis:)

IMG_9984 by SoloDallas, on Flickr

My thought is that the dings and dents I put into my guns are little bits of rememberances of adventures past. I don't mind a little wear on a good gun if it's not egregious.

I have an early NSW chiefs gun,NSW s guns are very good .As for a bess after looking about for a year at every thing on the net and at how others performed at competions I have settled on a Pedersoli.The main incorrect part on the Pedersoli is the fore end cap,as for the lock apart from thread sieze(metric)the locks are close.

Swampy said:
For me, this would be a no brainer. I would absolutely go with NSW especially if I were going to shoot it. If your just looking for a prop gun for reenacting then maybe a reworked Indian gun might work.

Ditto, The NSW is designed to be shot and the other thing is intended for a wall hanging or studio prop at 20 feet or more distance.

"The NSW is designed to be shot and the other thing is intended for a wall hanging or studio prop at 20 feet or more distance." :stir:

Well other than the shine and the Asian wood and wood dimensions, the LA musket hardware matches some actual Long-Land pattern muskets found in collections and seen in A Soldier-Like Way by r. R. Gale, and they are meant to be shot with live projectiles. :grin: Since you are looking to mess about in the woods reinacting, it's not a worth getting into.

:surrender:

However, I have used some of all three types that you mentioned, and I'd say the NSW guns use higher quality parts and correct wood. The caliber is wrong for a "cut down" Long-Land pattern musket, and they say it represents a privately owned gun belonging to an officer.

SO..., as you need what the unit says you need..., I'd say a Long-Land pattern ("improved" version - metal rammer, brass nosecap, bridled pan) from Loyalist Arms, cut down 4", with the stock shortened to accept a bayonet, and the bayonet lug reinstalled as well as the nose cap, is the proper way to go..., but might be too much trouble for you.

The Loyalist Arms "musketoon", has a barrel too short (imho) at 36" (even though the LA website claims muskets were cut down 10" - 12" in the F&I :hmm: ), and it has a wooden ramrod. I suppose you could modify it to accept a metal ramrod, and that would be the easiest. The light infantry fusil, officer's fusil, and artillery carbine are really better for post F&I like Pontiac's Rebellion and the AWI, and are the wrong caliber to be used as a "cut down" 1st Model Bess.

LD

A knowledgeable expert, with a lot of experience working on both originals and repros told me that overall, muskets from Loyalist Arms are closer to orginals than MVT's. Also, he said barrels on MVT muskets are a little better than LA barrels, but LA locks are slightly better than MVT locks.

Latest posts

Back