• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I'm out of Dixie, but it is still in me.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longrifle89

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all,
My name is Caleb McGraw, and I have been a flintlock blackpowder shooter for eight years now. I have a Cabela's left-handed (for some reason I have this disease, even though otherwise right-handed) .50 cal Hawken rifle with a 1:48 twist. I have never hunted with it, nor have I really attempted to see how accurate I can be with it. I am ordering an Early Virginia very soon from TVM, and the plan is to slay deer with it.

I love my Hawken, but it does have adjustable sights, plus I want a legitimate hand-made longrifle. I figured this forum might be a good idea, for the benefit of shared experiences.

I'm currently in Annapolis, MD, at USNA, but I am actually from Louisiana. I'm looking to hunt in either PA or NC over the weekends next year, when the Early Virginia is ready.

Hi Caleb, welcome! I am a lefty and my brother learned to shoot watching me. Didn't change until he went into service and the range officers taught him to shoot his Garand right handed. I never had any problem shooting mine left handed :hmm:

Welcome to the MLF Caleb! There is lots of great ideas and information being passed along on the forum from friendly knowlegable folks. Good luck with your future hunts with your new smokepole. Maybe some pics????

Greetings from the Sunny Southland, Caleb! It's always exciting waiting with great anticipation for a new smokepole. An Early Virginia? Wow, we can't wait to see photos when she arrives. Are you gonna name her? If you do, I bet it will be a good ole "southern girl" name :wink:.

Just ordered yesterday-looking at 6 months to get to the front of the line and then 4-7 weeks for it to build/ship.
The specs are:
42" swamped barrel with a 1:70 twist, .54 cal.
Left-handed L&R Queen Anne lock
Premium+ maple stock
sling swivels
14.5" pull

It is from Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading in Corinth, MS.

Sounds like she's gonna be sweet. Can't beat a swamped barrel for hold and balance, either!

Caleb,I'm brand new this morning, myself.Don't ever forget Dixie,it's a great place to be from,and to go back to.I'm from Georgia and have been here 61 years,minus 4 years in the U.S.N..I bet you'll really like that TVM rifle.I have ordered parts from them,the new owner Randy talks like a good fellow.They will build a rifle in the white,that is a functional rifle,without finish,I'm saving up for one now.Good luck on your blackpowder adventures and your new career.

Welcome. You'll find a wealth of knowledge here so if you've a question ask. So have a seat and fill yer tin cup as the coffees jest finished boiling. I dona mind sharin me coffee with a student of such a fine institute of higher learnin.

Latest posts

Back