• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I'm addicted.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got the bug again. Yep going to build another rifle . . . another Tennessee Mountain. I've already built three of this style. One in .45, .40 and .36 cal. I've built five flintlock rifles total. Each one has been a learning experience/tutorial to be applied to the next build. This one will be another .45 cal. I'm using a Jim Chambers Late Kentland Lock. A Davis #4 double set trigger and a 42" Colerain barrel. I'll order my stock from Pecatonica tommorrow. Looking at curly maple #4. 90 to 100% curl. Big step up but I think I've graduated to the level of not being afraid to put carving tools to work on a beautiful stock like this. Tongue in Cheek?? LOL. At $325.00 for the stock, I'd better be ready!
-Pat

Last edited:
doing a stock like that right now Pat. I am not sure how many builds i have done as i built unmentionables for 50 years, but none were with this grade of wood.
i laid out a Isaac Haines 1770 on it. i erased the layout. I laid it out again, and again. finally inlet the swamped 42 inch .58 barrel. only to discover the barrel needs to move rearward 1/4 inch.
nothing earth shattering but it shows that the saying. "measure twice, cut once" needs to be doubled!

Good luck on your build, Pat.
The addiction is strong 😉
Pecatonica has always shipped me Maple with more curl than I expected, I hope this build scratches that build itch for you~~~ keep us posted!
I 've purchased four stocks from Pecatonica. All were grade #2 but sure looked l like #3 or better to me. I can't wait to see what this #4 looks like.

I've got the bug again. Yep going to build another rifle . . . another Tennessee Mountain. I've already built three of this style. One in .45, .40 and .36 cal. I've built five flintlock rifles total. Each one has been a learning experience/tutorial to be applied to the next build. This one will be another .45 cal. I'm using a Jim Chambers Late Kentland Lock. A Davis #4 double set trigger and a 42" Colerain barrel. I'll order my stock from Pecatonica tommorrow. Looking at curly maple #4. 90 to 100% curl. Big step up but I think I've graduated to the level of not being afraid to put carving tools to work on a beautiful stock like this. Tongue in Cheek?? LOL. At $325.00 for the stock, I'd better be ready!
-Pat
Please keep the build pics coming when you get started. I am slowly learning a lot from all of ya'll and it is greatly appreciated. I'm in the very infant stages of building these beautiful guns. I'm just doing beginner stuff and some refurbs, just getting my feet wet. I think my next kit will be a tad more involved like a Clay Smith kit but, I hope to some day jump in with both feet and do something like this.

Here is the Tennessee Classic rifle I built from Pecatonica, for a guy up in Pennsylvania. That was #4 Curly Maple. A challenging build, but the fastest rifle I think I ever shot.

Attachments

• Tenn 60.jpg
    Tenn 60.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Tenn 58.jpg
    Tenn 58.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • TCLR.mp4
    865.3 KB
Here is the Tennessee Classic rifle I built from Pecatonica, for a guy up in Pennsylvania. That was #4 Curly Maple. A challenging build, but the fastest rifle I think I ever shot.
Beautiful curl!! It looks like the furniture may be German silver? I'm doing my rifle in German Silver. No matter what the purists say! I'm modifying a different trigger guard to make it look a little more traditional. It seems that no one makes a Tennessee Mountan trigger guard in German Silver. Drat!! LOL!I used a L&R Manton lock on my first Tennessee Moumtain. I had to rework and tune the lock. Finally got it straightened out. But . . . I found the lock to be very fast and the rifle is a tack driver. I might add though that I have bought two L&R locks and both of them were a mess. I stick with Jim Chambers now.

I Received an order from Track today. The barrel is a Colerain with round bottom rifling. Really nice looking barrel. Along with that cam front and rear sights, buttplate & lollipop tang. Wax cast castings are so much nicer than sand cast!

My stock from Pecatonica arrived yesterday. Curl maple #4. Looks nice. We'll see for sure how nice when I apply the stain. It's a magical kinda thing when the stain is applied and the grain bursts through! Right now I'm waiting on the Late Ketland lock and various german silver furniture parts from Muzzleloader Builders Supply. Then the long, slow process begins. Wish me luck.

Last edited:
Received my Late Ketland lock by Jim Chambers. A work of art! The springs in his locks are incredibly strong. This lock is amazingly fast.

Attachments

• 20240601_115309.jpg
    20240601_115309.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240601_115353.jpg
    20240601_115353.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240601_115409.jpg
    20240601_115409.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Time to brush up on my silver soldering skills. My german silver ramrod pipes weren
't soldered. Drat!

Attachments

• 20240602_074425.jpg
    20240602_074425.jpg
    916.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240602_074433.jpg
    20240602_074433.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240602_074412.jpg
    20240602_074412.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Back