• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I'll call this "Adui's only bad muzzleloading expe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
By request:

It was a particularly wet dear season in Northwest oregon long ago, Im going to guess 1995 but I'm not sure. I do know it was the first year I had my Hawken Woodsman by Traditions.

I bought it because It was a more affordable hunting rifle versus a modern rifle, and I figured I knew what I was doing because I had my CVA cap n ball revolver. $250 or so out the door with cleaning solvent, some blue water based stuff; a pound of Pyrodex RS; a box of .490 ball; and a 20 round box of maxi hunters.

I had been working up a monster load for those maxi hunters, (All 370 grains of them) all summer. I am sure I spent quite a bit of coin on the silly bullets.

Fall and winter came, and with it an unseasonably wet winter even for the northwest area of Oregon. My hunting buddy and I got out into the woods before sunup, and settled in for a long wet day. (He Probably thought I was a little crazy wanting to take this old thing in the woods after a deer, much less in the weather we had, but was a great friend and just smiled at the thought of me actually taking a deer with it)

Well the deer were smarter than we were and stayed under cover during the day long rain, so we spent the day in two or three areas we'd scouted but found nothing.

We hiked out and met at the truck, wet cold, tired and disappointed.

Knowing how wet it was I wasn't going to chance leaving the rifle loaded for the next day; so as the sun was setting and darkness was creeping into the woods I pointed her at a nearby tree and pulled the trigger.
"POP!" goes the cap..

He looks at me dubiously, I recap, point, squeeze.
POP...

I am now worried, but I recap again and repeat the process.

Knowing that this meant that 90 grain charge of Pyrodex was wet I took a risk, not having shot with other BP shooters I was guessing it would work; not owning a ball puller I had no choice. I removed the nipple and promptly dropped it in the gravel at my feet; then cursed like the former sailor I am.

While I frantically looked around on my hands and knees in the dark my buddy moved the truck so the headlights were pointing at the area I needed light. Then for good measure grabbed his flashlight and helped.

The muzzleloader gods must have been amused enough, for they allowed me to find that mipple lying in the wet gravel.

I breathed a sigh of relief; then stuffed as much Pyrodex as I could muster into the nipple hole and then rethreaded the nipple to the rifle.

With a silent prayer I recapped, pointed, and squeezed off.

POP!!! I'm thinking oh manure; then she goes Pfffffssssssswoosh!
A full second at least passed before we heard the projectile hit the tree I had it pointed at. The tree was no more than 15 feet away...

We spent the rest of the weekend (Three days for us) tearing down the rifle, drying the stock, (who knew Traditions doesn't seal the wood under the metal parts?!?!?) and refinishing the nearly ruined stock INCLUDING sealing the wood in all places!!!

And that my friends was the one time I have ever fired a black powder weapon and not smiled.. Well ok I am pretty sure I smiled but it was relief not happiness.. I was tired, wet, cold, ****** off, and questioning my choice of firearms.

:eek:ff NHMoose post reminded me of an old pastor we had. Kinda sorta dang near 100% redneck. We drove up to drop off a book at his house one night and caught him finishing off some grilled chicken with a blow torch :shocked2: Seems the grille ran outta gas. I'm sure he would have flicked his bick

Back on topic. I had similar experience. Now I carry an extra nipple in my pocket. Just my luck to be bent over looking for a nipple and have the ol 10pt buck saunder by, look up, switch his tail and bed down to continue watching me dig through grass n such (I can see it) :rotf:

Well, the good news is as mentioned I did learn a lot. Obviously I also stuck to it, though I must admit I always took an unmentionable on my hunting trips after that.
Best part, that particular Hawken was the very rifle I still own and shoot today. She ain't as purty as she was when I bought her but I guarantee the wood wont have issues with rain. If I ever see any again.. Which is unlikely here in the Phoenix valley...

manure....

Oh yeah; I commiserate. I went campin' with my boys in hills just outside Willamette Valley with my new made flintlock, "old Firewood". Of course it rained, the Oregon drizzle, & next day we hiked out. Went to clear the rifle, & the priming flashed but no boom. After about a half hour pickin' through the vent hole & burning about half a pound of 4F it finally went "pppffffboom". Nowadays if there is even a cloud in the area I put a good dollop of grease acound the pan cover.

Just out of curiosity, which hill? My story occurs in the hills above Falls City. If memory serves me the Black Rock line. (logging road for those who don't know)

Latest posts

Back