• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103
Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deville

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for letting me join the Forum. I inherited my dad's rifle it was hanging on his wall my whole life. I can't seem to find any information on it whatsoever. The only markings are a couple of stamps and on the top of the barrels and gold is something in Spanish I think it's someone's name from eibar. Reads "Fa de pedro Bascaran eibar" any help or scare me in the right direction of how to get it identified or appraised would really be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20230814_183736.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230820_090526.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230820_090530.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230820_090541.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230820_091115.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230820_090922.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230820_090559.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230820_091208.jpg
    10 MB · Views: 0
Wish there was an edit button because I don't want to get scared in the right direction I just want to get steered in the right direction LOL

Hi, thanks for letting me join the Forum. I inherited my dad's,,,,
That's really a beautiful piece, I can't identify but there will be others that will come along that can.
There is a different section of our forum that deals with these things that more folks will see a little lower on the page called,
"Firearm identification", I'm going to click a button and ask the moderators to move this to that section for you.

Go to your local Cabelas store, most of them have a section called the "Gun Locker" that have guy's that deal with antiques.
Ya might want to stop in first and talk to those guy's, find out who the old pro is and when he'll be in the store,,
(find the old guy, not a 20yr old)

That's really a beautiful piece, I can't identify but there will be others that will come along that can.
There is a different section of our forum that deals with these things that more folks will see a little lower on the page called,
"Firearm identification", I'm going to click a button and ask the moderators to move this to that section for you.

Go to your local Cabelas store, most of them have a section called the "Gun Locker" that have guy's that deal with antiques.
Ya might want to stop in first and talk to those guy's, find out who the old pro is and when he'll be in the store,,
(find the old guy, not a 20yr old)
Thank you. We don't have Cabelas stores in Nevada but maybe I I can stop by Bass Pro and see if they know anyone.

"fa de" is Catalan (region of Spain) which means "made by" Pedro Bascaran. Eibar is a proofing house, just meaning the barrels are tested/certified.

Bascaran seems to be a family of gunmakers. I couldn't find Pedro but Martin made cartridge guns in the early 1900s. The miquelet style locks are cool, very much a Spanish design.

You have a nice export grade miquelet double shotgun. I’ve seen approximately one of these to every 10 single barrel miquelets. But they all are kind of scarce, most went to Spanish colonies and rusted away in the heat and humidity. The Spanish miquelet locks were considered better and stronger than locks with the mainspring inside the lock plate. And in the case of your gun, a sleeker looking stock! I have even seen a cartridge shotgun- that used the miquelet system! I’m envious…….

You have a nice export grade miquelet double shotgun. I’ve seen approximately one of these to every 10 single barrel miquelets. But they all are kind of scarce, most went to Spanish colonies and rusted away in the heat and humidity. The Spanish miquelet locks were considered better and stronger than locks with the mainspring inside the lock plate. And in the case of your gun, a sleeker looking stock! I have even seen a cartridge shotgun- that used the miquelet system! I’m envious…….
Wow you write so well and detailed thank you. So I guess I shouldn't put it out with the garage sale items.

Do know what year it might be?

Anywhere from 1850’s to 1900. They still sold many muzzleloaders as cartridges were expensive. If you need to sell, advertise it here.

Congratulations. As Sam mentions above, double percussion shotguns - with miquelet locks - don't turn up very often. It's a nice Spanish sporting gun.

Rick

Back