• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I'am interested in building a 40cal flint., Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ole berthey

32 Cal.
Reaction score
:hmm: I am interested in building a 40 cal. flint long gun. That way I can use it for small game as well as for deer if I so choose to, anyway that's what the Arkansas game and fish regs reads. And I have never own or built a flint,so I thought it maybe is time. I would like to know what company out their makes a good kit, no cheapee and no out-rageous price either. rowdy :)

Whats an outrageous price? and how much work are you looking to do?
Inletting the barrel and tang to shaping the buttstock or are you looking for something thats prettymuch done just needs bolted together?

Pretty much just bolt together, I built a 54 Hawkens once, and still have the gun, but my job does not let me have that much time as of now. rowdy

YOu had better check your laws concerning caliber for hunting deer. In Illinois, .40 caliber is too small to be legal. Why not a .45? That would let you hunt deer in just about every state? It still is a good caliber for small game, too.

Check Track of the Wolf, they have some nice parts kits. I'm working on a 40 full stock right now that was purchased from them on special. Think I got it for $475 :winking:

You may want to check with Tip Curtiss on a gun. He usually has a good range of guns in the white that you can finish to your liking.

I agree with DAVE K Tip has some really nice guns in the white and should be able to supply you anything you need.

There is also Jim Chambers, Homer Dangler, and Muzzleloader Builders Supply.
All have kits and parts sets.

Hey Paul I did that very thing, about checking state regs. they say I can hunt small game with no larger that a 40 cal. and hunt deer with no smaller that a 40 cal. So a 40 cal I can hunt anything that is in season. and a 40 is the only one that I can do that with.
When I really get tough I will bring out my 54 RB on those deer. :winking:

Well, your comment on the laws says a .40 might be about right, but you should understand that if your shooting a .395 dia roundball (which would be the right size for patching), it only wieghs in at 92.5 grains. IMO, that's pretty light for taking a deer with.

Another thing about the .40. The folks that make all of those heavier bullets like the Maxi Bullet seem to have plumb forgotten about the .40 because I can't find a muzzleloading bullet that would work.
That even includes those plastic cup things we don't talk about around here.

As for "kit" guns that are basically factory guns which have not been put together, I don't know of anyone making such a critter in .40 caliber.
That leaves the "box of parts" guns like Track of the Wolf, Pecatonica River, Chambers etc sell and these will easily take you 170 hours of work or more.

zonie :)

Rowdy,

You are 286 miles (or less) away from 3 good sources of guns and/or parts.

TVM is in Corinth, Mississippi and can set you up with a variety of guns. Slash is a member here and one of the owners.

Jackie Brown is also a member here and is on the way in Walnut, Mississippi, but 3 miles closer. He generally sells built guns, but has been known to sell in-the-white on occaision and might even sell parts.

Jack Garner is also in Corinth and sells more parts than built guns. All of these people are a pleasure to deal with.

I would also look up Tip Curtis and other sources mentioned in the Links section.

CS

Sounds like you need a "In the white" rifle if you want one to just bolt together. Call Tip Curtis Frontier Shop & talk to Tip 615-654-4445. He usually has about 75 rifles built on hand & is a super guy to deal with. He usually has a Bucks County rifle built "In the White" and they are a nice lil small cal rifle.

:thumbsup:

there is a bullet that will work in a .40. use a .38-40 bullet cast from pure lead.it weighs 180 gr. or find a old mold for the .40-82 it weighs 260 gr. you need a way to start it stright like a loading block or a quick false muzzle or have the barrel counter bored. it shoots well in a 1-48 twist .40 cal barrel. so does round ball.

I think the .38-40 Winchester bullet is actually .401 diameter.
That might make loading it into a muzzleloader a bit of a chore??

Of course, if a person wants to spend some money, they can do what I do for my .400 cal Muzzleloading Schuetzen.

This gun has a 1:18 twist with a .400 bore and a .406 groove diameter.

In order to shoot this gun, I buy special .395 paper patch bullets and paper patch them up to .399 diameter with two turns of .001 thick paper. The two bullets I buy weigh 330 and 400 grains.
The only place I've found that produces these special bullets is Montana Precision Swaging and the last time I bought some they ran about 30 cents each.

While this is a neat, super accurate gun when shooting these bullets, the barrel must be wiped clean after each shot to load them. It definitely is not something I would want to hunt with where a quickly loaded follow up shot might be needed.

zonie :)

they are sized to .400 lubed with spg when fired they upset and fill the bore just like a lee real bullet.
i shot them in my .40cal 1-48 hoyt barrel and they shot as good as prb. i used 50gr.3f

Back