• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I want to make my own equipment.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Mize

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Can someone recommend a book that will teach a beginner how to make clothing, haversacks, bags, and knives and any other items that a person would carry from say 1800 to 1860's? I can do somethings with leather already but would like to expand in other areas. Very intersted in this area because I like to work with my hands.

MAYBE THE "BUCKSKINNING" series of books, they show and tell alot about alot of stuff,specially fer that time period,and you can find them "already read" like prefired... good and very interesting bookS, there's a bunch of volumes of them.. maybe ck. the mlf book store..? hope this helps! :thumbsup: RC

Book? You have this entire forum! :grin:
I'm sure there are references to books, here, also. I taught myself through trial and error, which is illustrated in the scars on my hands. Of course I've been making stuff since I was a leetle feller.

totw has some good sketch books for ideas, but not the instructions perse'
This forum is your best tool for the how to's and ideas.

Pick a project and ask some questions, we'll work you through it. A bunch of us sew, blacksmith, knit, weave, ect ect.

Regards
Loyd Shindelbower

:hmm: :hmm: Book? You have this entire forum!
I'm sure there are references to books, here, also. I taught myself through trial and error, which is illustrated in the scars on my hands. Of course I've been making stuff since I was a leetle feller.

brett sr

In response to soonerhunter

totw has some good sketch books for ideas, but not the instructions perse'
This forum is your best tool for the how to's and ideas.

okay, i was gonna say he had the forum...but he KNEW that,an maybe seein how leathermoose's scars :shocked2: are probably not a uh, good sign(learnin curve?)...i jes figured soonerhunter mite need pictures!... :rotf: well it can't hurt...an no scars..well paper cuts maybe..fer starters.. :blah: RC

thanks for the ideas guys. And yes I know that I have the forum if i need help, I just was looking for ideas and pic, and as for the scars the first thing i ever made was holster for my hand gun and i have a two inch scar for that effort. Again thanks for the ideas I am new to this and I really like the old stuff.

soonerhunter

gee maybe you guys should start with a primitive first aid kit! :rotf: (yer favorite sayin?) oh! that's gonna leave a mark! :shocked2: RC

The Book of Buckskinning series from Scurlock Pub are a good start. You don't need all of them, but a few select ones. If you have a good leather store in your area, they usually have these books, example Tandy Leather. Then you can go down and page through them to find the one you want

Vol I covers some clothing, guns, accouterments, scrimshaw, anf other
Vol II covers some clothing, working with leather, and powder horns, and other things
Vol III covers some hunting pouches, shelters, footwear, beadworking, and other
Vol VII covers some knife sheaths, tanning, a little on MM clothing, and other.

These are the four I have, but there are a total of 8 in the series. These are definately not the definitive tome on this stuff, but they do have some good info and pics on How To...

I have a bunch of other books as well, to many to list it seems sometimes.

Get a couple and use "in conjunction with" this forum. :grin: :v

if you look thru the books of buckskinning you may also like mark baers a pilgrims journey pair of books. i started with the buckskinners series they are really good. you may also want to ttry nad find some old copies of muzzleloader magazine as well they have a lot of info in them too.

Thanks Goldhunter

There is a Tandy store in Okc. I'll go by there on the next payday and check them out. I have been looking at pic on different websites and I have seen things that I like as well as some I don't like. Thanks for the Tandy tip.

Soonerhunter

You can only make one thing at a time and IMHO a lot of the stuff in the books are wrong. You are better off telling us what you want to build. I have made a lot of the sames things three or four times as I learned what I had already made wasn't pc. Save yourself some trouble and ask a lot of questions.

The Mountain Man's sketch book by James A. Hanson and Kathryn J. Wilson (Volume I and II) are good.... They show drawings of period items,(They don't tell you how to make it... just what was made...) You can use the drawings as a base to make some of you own stuff...

The books are inexpensive, and you can find something that would be cool to make... then ask others for thier sujestions.......

You might do what I did when I first got interested in reeenacting. I became a volunteer at a local living history museum (an 1800's era farm) and learned about blacksmithing. I supply my own iron and keep what I make. The farm has a nice forge and the public enjoys watching me make whatever I'm doing. :shocked2:
Wanders

Back