• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I want "the Baker"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeMat1856

45 Cal.
Reaction score
sorry i have such a one track mind, but every once in a while the powers that be come up with something that really tickles my fancy..

this time it's a civil war calvary 20ga smoothbore they call "the Baker." it has one trigger, (unfortunatly) not choked, and measures a mere 27.55" overall with just 11.5" for barrels..

naturally, because they're made by pedersoli, cabela's is asking a small fortune so looks like i'll have to start begging santa earlier than usual this year.. i'd even be willing to swap my .58 howdah fer one of these, and that's darn serious begging.

anybody else been bitten by one of these ?

:doh:
~dg~

"To each his own", the farmer said . . . as he kissed his cow.

363S.708.jpg

Looks incomplete to me. :idunno:

i suppose i can see the appeal of one of these. although at $900 they can keep em! :slap: :td:

There's a cool factor to it, just like there is to the Howdah pistols. But both are way too expensive for such impractical arms. :hmm:

Impulse buying on steroids.
Pedersoli sure knows how to get people excited with marginally historically correct guns.
This firearm would be harder to load horseback than a shotgun with 24" barrels.
So seeing it as a valid CW cavalry arm is questionable.

Dan

That is almost exactly what I want, just convert it to flint and lengthen the barrels to at least 36" :haha:

Dicky,

in all honesty, i think Dan Phariss hit the cap on the nipple..

speaking of which, was there ever an original or is this just a "marginally historically correct" gun designed to pull in the impulse buyer ?

... :hmm:

~dg~

I predict these will pop up used in a few years at a reduced price. Still, if 20 of us pooled our funds and each put down about $45, then we could share it and pass it on, and each shoot the 20 or so shots it takes to get disenchanted with a barrel that short. Then pass it on, and keep recycling it through the group. It could be kind of like those "Where's George" dollar bills that can be tracked across America, only we could track it on this site.

So call it $45 to buy for each of us and about $30 in postage annually, and we probably won't shoot that gun any more individually than if we each owned it outright. After all, what can you do with a gun like that? Shoot 20 shots at a target, take spectacular photos of the muzzle blast, and then clean it and go use something more practical.

Thoughts?

wahkahchim,

well, obviously, count me in... :applause:

likewise, maybe i should "rent" my howdah to anyone that whats to test-market it without having to make the (now) $750 investment.. BTW, they were much less than that back in 2009 when 'on sale' at cabelas.. i saw it as both an investment and a solution to that impulse itch that just has to be scratched.

any takers to wahkahchim's suggestion for either the Baker or Howdah ?

:hmm:

~dg~

PS. you just might be onto something... i've never fired a flintlock but can't justify the investment since i no longer hunt.

why not just buy a 20g howdah for $700 and either carve a stock yerself or have someone do it for you. i garantee a simple stock like that would cost less then $200.

as i see it the gun is a stocked howdah with a different type of firing mechanism. so unless your really into the single trigger mechanism, having a howdah restocked is cheaper.

matt85,

now you've got me thinking...

a 20ga barrel is about $400, IIRC, so why not just get one of those, have a stock cut to fit the locks as they are for the .58, and just swap between the two as need be..

i wonder if that could actually be done....?

i'll have to mull this over and ask some questions.. better than just throwin' $887 at dixie/pedersoli just to scratch an itch.

thanks for the suggestion, matt.

:thumbsup:
~dg~

It'd be simpler and cheaper to find a used CVA shotgun, and cut it down. That's what lots of the folks did who did CSA Cavalry in the late 1970's and early 1980's. Or..., I wonder what Pedersoli charges for replacement barrels on a SxS, and if one could get them, shorten them and a second ramrod as well, thus having a "shotgun system".

LD

I like the full barrel version(28").It is a replica of an actual shotgun made by Baker in England and the single trigger you find on modern shotguns can be traced to Bakers single trigger.As far as being a civil war gun with barrels cut to 11 or 20 inches I ll leave that to the experts to decide.

You are free to want one if you wish.
I see not practical use for it.
And, I try to get to the next county before anyone shoots a shotgun of any kind with a barrel shorter than about 22". The report is an ear blaster. :shocked2:

I'm with you, double barrel 20ga, flint It would be great for squirrels, an rabbit!. :thumbsup:

There IS a practical side for this that I can see, provided the question of bulk can addressed.

I've looked long and hard at the howdahs and shot them a bit for backup here in serious brown bear country. I sometimes carry a large-bore modern revolver, but it feels like "cheating" somehow.

The up side of the howdah is it's comparatively small size, but with fairly potent loads they're fecal matter for a quick accurate followup shot. Without having fired the Baker, I can guarantee that it will be easier to shoot quickly and well. All a guy has to do is figure out how to carry one as conveniently as a howdah.

As for "HC/PC," I have to ask myself this. Which would you be much more likely to run into on the frontier: a cut down English import shotgun or a howdah from India? Easy answer for me.

Latest posts

Back