• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I Think I'm Finished...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Horn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
with this 'Ye Olde CVA Kentucky Pistol' that I been redoing. Its not perfect by any means, but it should be fun at the next club pistol shoot.

CVAPistol2001.jpg

CVAPistol2002.jpg

Need to get to the range and see if it'll sight in. Planning on taking several different patch thicknesses and .440 .445 ball. Can't wait ta smell some white smoke and hear the Boom! :v :grin:

Looks like a decent refinish job. Let us know how it shoots.

'SnappinCaps'
'.45 Cal. Kentucky Percussion'
"Let's go pop some more caps!"

I have a Deer creek perc pistol that looks almost exactly like your CVA. I put it together probably over 5 years ago - back when the kit cost only $85.00! The last time I looked at it I though how chunky the pistol looked compared to others I've seen(like Zonie's rebuild in earlier post). Has anyone taken one of these kits and taken 1/8" of wood off the stock - I think there is enough? I just sanded mine and finished. Kurt/IL

Here's my CVA Kentucky, built from the kit in about 1978 or so. I was in a hurry at the time to have something to go with my Kentucky rifle, so I didn't take the time to shape the forend like I should have. Yes, taking some wood off would not be a bad idea.

563.jpg

R0010565.jpg

Kurt, you can take a bunch of wood off the front end, I took off all I thought was possible. The limiting factor (to me) was the muzzle cap. To make it flow into that size cap I could'nt do as much as I wished. I considered replacing the cap, but that would have ment pinning or keying the barrel which was a little more work than I wanted to put into this pistol.

A couple more pics:

CVAPistol003.jpg

CVAPistol006.jpg

Maybe I'll rework mine and see just how much wood I can take off. I would take my side panels way down also. Kurt/IL

That sure is a beautiful work of art! :hatsoff: let us know how it shoots. By the by...that ramrod looks to nice to get dirty. hope you use a range-rod...I can almost smell the smoke now :)

Hi Flatlender,
You did a nice job! :applause: What did you used for finish on a stock? Oil or shellac? :confused: looks shellac to me though.
Thx
WB

The finish is eight coats of Tru-Oil. Then to give it a little more of a satin look, I dampened a clean cloth and put Comet (the stuff you clean the sink with) on it and rubbed the finish down. Yeah, I know, I'm cheap! :haha:

Hi Flatlender,
On a contrary you r really ingenious!
What kind of oil is a Tru Oil.Sorry I dont know this stuff.Is it like a Tung Oil or smtn?
Thx
WB :)

Its an oil based Gun Stock finish thats sold by Birchwood Casey. Most of the suppliers such as Track of the Wolf sells it.
[url] http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(yhc2g32t3podcsvj0fhqdvmz))/imgPart/bc-to-22_1.jpg[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice job Flatlander. :thumbsup: Looks just like mine, except my CVA has a brass sideplate instead of the set up on yours. Let us know how it shoots.
Scott

On the back of the old box this kit came in, there is a picture of the parts included. In the picture there is a sideplate, but it was'nt included in this kit. I take it that some of them came with sideplates and some with the brass washers that this one has. Wish it had that sideplate. :hmm:

Weather is getting nice enough to get out and do some shooting. Still pretty muddy tho. Soon, hopefully.

You could always put a side plate on. I could trace the side plate on mine and mail the pattern to you. Cut it out on brass stock and inlet it in. Or you could get a similar shaped blank from TOW or Muzzleloader Builder's Supply and do the same.

Scott

Thanks, Scott! I would like to have a tracing of the original. I'll PM ya with particulars. I've also been ogling TOW's sideplate assortment. Hav'nt decided on the right one yet, maybe the original would be best.

Oh, and before I forget it again, a BIG THANKS to all who responded with kind comments. Nice bunch of folks here! :bow: :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back