• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I rediscovered Borebutter this weekend.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i started useing ben-gay for a patch lube keeps my fingers nimbel while i shoot and smells the same :bull: :bull: :bull:

snake-eyes said:
roundball said:
What do you use a tube of bore butter for when you're away from the house?
Being all natural....I eat it! Taste like Vienna sausage :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
snake-eyes :blah:
You mean it's NOT a tube of cheese??
:rotf:

Actually, the label reads as follows:
NON-TOXIC, ALL INGREDIENTS ARE FOOD GRADE RATED.[/quote]

Yeah, it's advertised as all natural too, but paraffin is by product from refining crude oil. I suppose that crude oil is all natural, but I wouldn't want to drink it.
J.D.
[/quote]

it is funny how the media and activists have us thinking that stuff from crude oil is some sort of hazardous chemical...vasoline is made from crude oil and we put it on everything, including lip balm! Parafin and vasoline are waxy hydrocarbons that naturally occur in some oil--all crude oil is mostly naturally occuring hydrocarbons--the basic building blocks of life and what we are all made of! In fact crude oil originated as animal& plant life, mostly billions of microscopic critters that lived in the ancient seas and were buried in the sediments, to later be cooked by geothermal heat and made into oil and natural gas....drink it? some people used to drink crude oil as an elixir, but I don't recommend it....

Roundball,
I always take extra borebutter with me to the range. I like to add extra lube to the patches. I bought a bunch of older prelubed patches for next to nothing but the patches were on the dry side so I add some as I go. As far as shooting in the cold, I switch off to mink tallow when it gets below 30' if not the patches are as stiff as cardboard. I pretty much shoot year round so I adjust for conditions...Jim

Has anybody tried that Preparation H ointment for a patch lube?? I bet it would tighten up your groups. :hmm:

Stone Bridge said:
Roundball,
I always take extra borebutter with me to the range. I like to add extra lube to the patches. I bought a bunch of older prelubed patches for next to nothing but the patches were on the dry side so I add some as I go. As far as shooting in the cold, I switch off to mink tallow when it gets below 30' if not the patches are as stiff as cardboard. I pretty much shoot year round so I adjust for conditions...Jim
OK, got it...I used to add more BB to patches for use in the cold dry conditions...squeezed a couple "lines" of bore butter onto 100 patches inside a ziploc bag and put them in the microwave...but the Chief-of-Staff wasn't crazy about the smell in the house so that's when I decided to try Hoppe's No9 BP Plus...fantastic stuff...so I use Hoppe's No9 BP Plus from Dec-Mar when there's real low humidity...but all hunting is done with BB as I'm not trying to make 50 reloads without wiping between shots, etc.

roundball said:
twisted_1in66 said:
Pittsburghunter said:
***SNIP***

So why did I quit using this stuff?

Because it becomes rock hard in the freezing temperatures and you can't get it out of the tube! :shake: :shake: :shake:

Stumpy's moose snot :bow: :bow: works great in freezing temps. I used it in 8º temps in Vermont with no problem. I used the Bore Butter in the same temperature to hammer the nails putting up the target...OK, I didn't really hammer nails with it, but I could have.
--------------------------------
Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:
I'm really puzzled at the couple of references to taking a tube of bore butter out into the cold, either at the range or hunting, etc...I've been using the stuff over 15 years and have yet to ever take a tube of it out of the house...I use it to lube the bore after cleaning in the garage, and I take prelubed patches with me to the range and hunting.

What do you use a tube of bore butter for when you're away from the house?
:confused:

Well...I used to use it to lube patches with, but I didn't prelube them, just smeared some on them the patches at the quarry where I was shooting. Before that I used Crisco, but I had a batch of that go rancid and there's few things that smell worse than rancid Crisco.

Anyhow, made a trip to the quarry one bright, dry, Sunday morning. Didn't think much about the cold because it's always cold in Vermont during the winter. Actually, since it was 8º, I thought it was pretty good. Hadn't got above 0º for two weeks straight.

So, I was happy to get out of the house and do some shooting. I'd left the Bore Butter in the car, so it was not even warm to start with. Walked up to the rock I was using as the firing line; set my stuff down; and came back to load up. Had a roll of ticking material that I cut at the muzzle. Opened the Bore Butter to get a little out, and it was frozen solid....and I DO mean solid.

Used a couple of spit patches that tried to freeze themselves in the barrel on the way down, and finally gave up and went home. Frozen Bore Butter ruined my day.

Then I came back to the forum; did the search on Stumpy's Moose Snot; mixed up a batch; and have not used anything else since. I can tell you from a lot of experience in really cold weather, it doesn't freeze. And, I can easily shoot off 10 shots without wiping in between. If one load sticks a little bit, I just use a little more on my next patch and it works great.

Stumpy...THANK YOU!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

So, now I only use Bore Butter at home before I put it away after cleaning my rifle.

-------------------------------------
Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

You is welcome.

I run a Moose Snot patch after cleaning the rifle and then the next day I wipe once with Birchwood Casey Sheath. I've got it down to an eight-patch system using water/saliva immediately after shooting (dip my fingers in a creek and wipe them on the patch - not sopping wet) and then back at the house three patches with Moose Juice, one dry, one with alcohol and then one with Moose Snot. I use the alcohol patch to wipe the lock and then put Sheath on the used dry patch and wipe all the metal one the rifle (except the frizzen face) The eighth patch is the follow up on the next day with Sheath. Each of these patches is run up & down a half dozen times.

Before I shoot I wipe the bore with Moose Snot. That seems to make the whole day load easier.

I liked Bore Butter/Natural Lube. I used it for several years. I just found it too messy in the summer. I shoot from ball blocks and it was always getting on my shirt/frock.

J.D. said:
Except that oil of wintergreen is not a food grade item since it is somewhat toxic. Tincture of wintergreen would be food grade.

Er, "tincture of" just means that the substance has been dissolved in alcohol (and not necessarily ethanol...could be methanol or isopropanol). It has nothing to do with whether or not it's food grade.

And, for that matter, neither does toxicity. Many toxic substances come in food-grade forms. There is food-grade lye, food-grade hydrogen peroxide, food-grade saltpetre, etc.

"Food grade" is more a qualification of purity and of the conditions underwhich the substance was prepared.

Dan

Latest posts

Back