• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I needed some flints...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BE Wild Willy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently purchased my first rocklock, a slightly used Pedersoli Frontier 54 cal. While waiting for the weather to clear , and after reading so much on flint types, I decided to order a few to try. I decided to try Stonewall Creek Outfitters cause I've heard of uniformity issues with flints from other places. Well SCO is a small mom and pop business where you end up talking to the proprietors directly on the phone. I spoke to Troy, who was very helpful, and he got me all fixed up. I received my order within 3 days from talking with him, every one of the dozen (6 Black English/6 French Amber) were very uniform, and all I believe to be serviceable. I'm posting this because I'm more than happy with the folks at Stonewall Creek Outfitters and wanted to spread the word.

thanks for the post ... it's good to hear of positive experiences ... as an aside, most of the mom&pop places with which i've dealt have been head and shoulders above the 'fortune 500' type companies in terms of how they treat customers ... i would pick a small place over a big one (and pay a bit more) for exactly that reason ...

OK - that's my rant for today ... let me climb off my soapbox before i fall and get hurt.

I'll probably use them the next time I need some, which will be soon. I had to many humpbacks for my taste last time I bought some.

i recently bought the same mix you did (6 english and 6 french) but from trackofthewolf and while the french flints look great the english flints seemed a bit lumpy and most didnt have very good edges.

when i burn threw these i intend to try out some flints from stone creek outfitters, ive heard nothing but good reviews.

-matt

You do know that even the poor ones can be salvaged. :hmm:
Unless it is a really awful one that is. :grin:
A flint needs to be as flat as possible so you can clamp it securely in the cock jaws. No humpbacks, please. :(
But the fix is pretty simple. I take them as the come and fix them myself. :thumbsup:

'bout three things you can do:

1) rechip them ... unless you're very good at flint knapping, this will usually result in a sharp mess on the floor, followed by some cuss words and a trip to the dustpan.

2) chop the top off - this can be done with a diamond cutting wheel and a 'dremel' tool ... fussy, but with flints at up around a buck and a half a throw, it's getting to be more worth the time.

3) fill in the hump - FG7 or similar epoxy compounds will work. not known to make a big hit with the HC/PC crowd, i'll admit, but you do get use out of the flint ... i've also heard of folks doing this as an extender when the flint gets too short to fit in the jaws of the cock.

hope this helps, or at least points you in the right direction...

make good smoke!

Ebiggs has the best solution to the humpback flint problem I've come across. He ought to do a tutorial and make it a sticky.

ebiggs said:
You do know that even the poor ones can be salvaged. :hmm:
Unless it is a really awful one that is. :grin:
A flint needs to be as flat as possible so you can clamp it securely in the cock jaws. No humpbacks, please. :(
But the fix is pretty simple. I take them as the come and fix them myself. :thumbsup:

enlighten us on your techniques sir!

some of the flints i got from trackofthewolf are simply too lumpy to get a secure fit. i plan on getting a dremel and a diamond wheel to work on em but i dont have the $$ at the moment.

-matt

i plan on getting a dremel and a diamond wheel to work on em but i dont have the $$ at the moment.
The wheels are cheap. You don't need a Dremel. Any electric drill will work fine. I put mine into my drill press. Go back and read the thread link in my previous post.

Back