• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I need information in my CVA Plainsman Muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btc08

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a CVA Plainsman Muzzleloader and I need some information on it. What size lead ball do I need? What powder should I use? What number percussion cap should I use? What year is it? I have serial number. Thanks!

The Plainsman,according to the owners Manual, is also known as Bushwacker/Woodsman/Bobcat, 50 cal 1-48 twist Percussion caps C.V.A. Hot flash

what number percussion cap? what powder should I use? Also what lead ball size should I use?

Again the owners manual reads,,
round ball.490 ball, patch .015 50-100 FFG
.500 conical,no patch, 50-100 FFG.
Go on line and get the Owners Manual FREE lots of good information ,necessary information.
100 ffg is the MAXIMUM load,start low and work up.
This information is on page 8 referenced above.

I got all the info but the percussion cap number. Do I use number 11 hot flash? Sorry I'm new to this.

I didn't see it in the owners manual. Thank you all for the information! It was very helpful and I appreciate! God bless!

Don't worry about brand too much. They all go bang. Just use no. 11 caps. Sometimes it's more about what you can get your hands on so keep a little bit of a stockpile. Enjoy your new rifle. 80 gn of FFG or 70gn of FFFg is a good load to aim for.

For a person that is new to the sport of muzzleloading, almost any #11 cap will do. There are differences. Some brands such as RWS are hotter. Some seem to be more consistent such as CCI and RWS. If you are limited to the substitute black powders, you should look for the magnum brand caps. The magnum caps have a bit more of the primer material and are hotter to ignite the synthetic powders.

After shooting a couple of hundred rounds through your rifle, you may find that one particular brand delivers better accuracy or fires the load more reliably.

Enjoy your new rifle.

Go with90gr of 2f goex black powder and use size11cci magnum or rws cap and if you going with Pyrodex go with wrs and for the balls try 490and for patch go with18th pillow ticking and wipe the bore in between shots

I tried to look up that link for the manual as I myself have a .50 Cal Plainsman rifle. Is there another link I could try that you have in mind?

Usually the CVA manuals you got with their guns were just generic manuals. It may have been different with the older guns but CVA kept marketing their guns making minor changes and renaming them. Kinda made it hard to keep up.

I had to buy a new nipple in order for it to align and fit #11 caps, but I bought mine used for 50$ so...

Latest posts

Back