• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I had an episode...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omhra

36 Cl.
Reaction score
...and recently bought 7 black powder revolvers and 4 muzzle-loading pistols, one of which is a flintlock.

Hello everyone, I live in California and I'm new to the black powder/muzzle loading world, tho I am a long time (normal) gun shooter, hand loader, and collector.
I have been absorbing information and found this forum, been lost reading them, and I have learned lots of theory (I think, though the more I read the more I find... ), I cannot wait to start shooting these great replicas..
I look forward to learning lots more.
My first question, I guess, is; How can I expect my indoor range to react to a muzzle-loading .50 Cal Howdah? Or to a Walker, or a Dragoon?

...and recently bought 7 black powder revolvers and 4 muzzle-loading pistols, one of which is a flintlock.

Hello everyone, I live in California and I'm new to the black powder/muzzle loading world, tho I am a long time (normal) gun shooter, hand loader, and collector.
I have been absorbing information and found this forum, been lost reading them, and I have learned lots of theory (I think, though the more I read the more I find... ), I cannot wait to start shooting these great replicas..
My first question, I guess, is; How can I expect my indoor range to react to a muzzle-loading .50 Cal Howdah? Or to a Walker, or a Dragoon?
Depends on the indoor range and if they have the ventilation for black powder shooting. Call them and ask.

While I have always loved the smell of black powder burning, smoke hanging in the air as the wind blows it on.........Indoors? fouling soot deposited on everything. I would hate to have to clean walls, ceiling, stands, mechanicals......etc.
But welcome, and it appears you've jumped into the deep end with eleven handguns, but Oh The Fun you can have. Good luck, and be careful.

The forum linked by Justin.44, thank you. Lots to consider, sideflash, sparks, spills, hot ambers, smoke ventilation and residues from smoke and unburned powder - at the station and down-range.. it may be that even asking the range is poor etiquette.. there is a (much farther) outdoor range that seems far more prudent.

That was a heck of an episode. I hope you're okay. 😄 Neither of the two indoor ranges that are reasonably near to me allow bp, so my bp guns are solely outdoor range and boonie guns. The only time this bothers me is during the summer months here when it's 118 degrees in the shade. Would be nice to have an air conditiond indoor range to shoot my frontstuffers at during the summer, but c'est la vie. You may have better luck in your area, you'll just have to call/email around and see. Welcome aboard.

Chances are they will all be queueing up to have a go!

Welcome from Pa also. BP can be habit forming, if not down right addictive. Welcome.

Thank You all for the warm welcome and the advice...
Just as I thought that I was getting better, I ordered a 1849 Pocket... what can I say, my wife and daughter think it is just "so cute"...

Back