• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I did something really stupid

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul LaFranco

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I went to the range yesterday to shoot my new GPR for the first time, when I got home I cleaned it, and noticed that theres a recess in the breech. Even though I cleaned it real well with soapy water in a bucket, when I took two .30 cal cleaning patches and put them in the cleaning tip of my Dewy cleaning rod and shoved them into the recess it was still filthy. I got it all cleaned and oiled and put the rifle up. This morning I decided to run a few more patches through her to get any gunk that the oil might have leached up from the rifling when I shoved the .30 cal patches into the breech recess, the cleaning tip came off, and now there is two tight fitting patches and a cleaning tip stuck in the breech recess of my rifle. I tried to screw the tip back on the rod by feel ( but no go), I then put the breech end of the barrel in hot water, and tried to do a plunging action useing the ram-rod, with the jag, and a tight fitting patch, hoping the sucction would dislodge the patches in the breech recess, but again no luck. As a last resot, I've got that part thats screws on the ram-rod for removing patches in the barrel, but I can't get it past the cleaning tip, and even if I could I think the patches in the breech recess are in there to tight. I think the best thing I can do is take the rifle to a gun-smith that I know just over the border in Indiana, he's very fimiliar with BP, I think he may have to pull the breech plug off, unless he knows an easier way of getting those patches out.
Paul :cursing: :hmm: 

you have some other alternatives. Do you have an air compressor, or one of those CO2 dispensers? You could blow it out. If you can fish some FFFFg behind the patch maybe you could shoot it out. YOu could try to make a funnel with tape and maybe a cut off rifle case with a case neck similar in size to the tip. Something like a 30-30 for a big one, or a 22-250, 375 H&H etc. to help guide the cleaning rod tip threads on to the tip of the rod. Or a worm type of cleaning jag or bullet puller might be able to snag it. The last resort would be to pull the breech plug to push it through.

I second the compressed air if you have the equipment for that. If not what Cynthialee and the Col have recommend should do the trick.

Let us know how you make out... that has to be frustrating.

You might try to wrap the rod with something to keep it centered in the bore, like a small piece of sponge tied in place, that is if the threads aren't stripped.
Or do as cynthialee suggested, fill the pan with 4F and with a piece of copper slowly stuff it through the touch hole. Seems like 4-5 gr's would do it. Good luck!!!
Robby

I thought about shooting it out,and also the comprssed air trick, but the patch is stuck in the breech recess, so the powder would be in front of the stuck patches. The same for useing an air compressor, I can think of nothing that could get behind the stuck patches in order to shoot or blow them out.??? But I had'nt thought of useing the bullet puller, that just might work, Im gonna try that now.
Paul

Dumb question... I'm not familiar with the GPR, but does it have a vent hole liner that screws in? If so, can you unscrew it and maybe get something small like a metal pick to grab ahold of the patch and pull it through the vent opening while being very careful of the threads? I don't know if it would fit though or not, or if you could free it from the cleaning jag, but it may be worth a try. I remember friend telling me he did this once when he lost a cleaning patch that he could not get out (he didn't have a jag that would just catch it).

I took Col. Batguano's advice, and used my bullet puller and the stuck patches came right out. I really dodged the bullet that time, and I won't do that stupid stunt again. Im new to this BP thing, so I guess this is the first of many mistakes. I may do some other dumb things, but I learn from my mistakes, and will not repete this one thats for sure. Now Im again a happy man, and you guys saved me a trip to the smith, thanks so much to all of you, you don't know how much I appriciate the help.
Paul :bow: :grin: :wink: :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Here's one I picked up here on the forum a few years back. Worth keeping in mind, and even finding the part and stowing it in your cleaning box:

Find yourself a zerk fitting threaded to match the nipple. When all else fails, replace the nipple with the fitting and use a grease gun. Supposed to work like magic.

Haven't had to resort to it yet, but I have zerk fittings to match each of my guns now. Not much money involved, and a little effort to clean out the grease is a small price to pay.

That's great news Paul... don't feel too bad, I could see myself doing that one too.

BrownBear... awesome tip! I'll try and remember that one.

Congrats on getting it out. I once tried to pull a dry ball in the field and ripped the center of the ball. So I came home and fabricated a ball puller with a larger than normal screw.
However I once again ripped the center out of the ball. At that point none of the options worked to dislodge. Couldn't shoot it out, blow it out or pump it out with grease. I know because I tried all!

In retrospect I may have been able to plug the hole with an even larger screw but hindsight is always better than foresight!

I ended up pulling the breech plug and driving the ball out with a long dowel and a mallet! :nono: Not a fun time but I definitely learned to dry the air or C02 dis-charger first and then the powder method. Once you create a hole in the ball it ain't wanting to go anywhere!

I've been shooting all my life (the modern stuff) I was even sent to the U.S army marksmanship training unit before I went to Nam, I thought I had everything down pat. But this BP stuff is a different breed of animal, I know shooting is shooting, the theory is the same, and sight alinment is the same no matter if it's modern, or BP but I think thats wear it ends. But maybe thats the draw to BP shooting, it's different, it's almost like staring over again, it's new to me, and very interesting. I look very forward to the new learning experiance, and challenges for a rookie like me that waits ahead, I guess that includes the dumb mistakes I will inevitably make. Im just glad there's very experiance guys, and gals like you that will pull my butt out of the sh^% when I occasionally fall in.
Thanks,
Paul :grin:

Hey Rightwinger !!!

All good suggestion's but mostly focused on "Ball" removal..

If the clog is a bunch of patch's, desolve them with a drain-0 solvent and flush them out with cold water.... Oil the manure out of it.... Hahaha...

Ed.....

I would be hesitant to say the least to try dissolving them with draino.

In fact I would be more inclined to try the PVC pipe method. Not sure it would work in this case but works well with a stuck brush. A thin wall PVC will slide over the brush and then it is removed with the pipe. This might work with patches, (never know till you try it)!

But I ain't puttin dranio in there. :nono: :shake: :redface:

If it will dissolve the clog its not good on the pipes. IMO you could be creating a rough spot in the rifle!

Like I said this is MHO so take it for what it's worth. The tittle of the post is I did something really stupid. I think that might be compounding stupid.

By the way it's only stupid if you don't learn from it! :wink:

Since you have succeded in removing your problem, might I sugest that you get a bore mop or two the dia of your breech recess for cleaning. The type used for a .410 shot gun might fit. BJH

B.Habermehl said:
Since you have succeded in removing your problem, might I sugest that you get a bore mop or two the dia of your breech recess for cleaning. The type used for a .410 shot gun might fit. BJH

Bore mop?
Fuggitit. IMHO, a patch grabber rifle is a wall hanger. I would never use it again.

This predickerment should be no problem, if only people would learn to make sure you can remove your breech plugs. I restore and shoot many origenals, including doubble barrel guns, but would never consider loading one I wasent sure that the plug(or)plugs where opperable. Use of a good release agent such as "neverseez" and cleaning once and awhile,maybe not a job for the field, but in shop no problem.

Back