• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I blame you lot! (Peder' Bess Carbine).

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Spent a small fortune yesterday but boy am I impressed!
What a great gun and lock! Now I can appreciate all the reputation of this classic.
The date stamp on this Pedersoli is AD. Does anyone know when that was please?

It showers spark just fantastic and seems kind to the flint.
I was shooting it just over 24hrs of collecting it and after stoning the rough sears.

Some photos.

B :hatsoff:

PS, the fox tail was cured with tea leaf from a tea bag and washed down into the tail with meth's, or do you call it rubbing alcohol?

My circa 1976 Navy Arms/Ped. Bess is/was one of my mostest funnest guns to shoot ever. Only age and bad shoulders forced me to retire it. After decades of use the frizzen hardening finally wore through. So, don't shoot yers more than 200,000 times or the same will happen to you. :wink: Enjoy. :thumbsup:

I have a Pedersoli Doppietta from the same year, very different from current production. There is a chart of the stamps on this forum. It's a bit hidden,something like

Member Resources:
Charts and Links:
Reproduction Proof Marks for Dating:

Butt, didn't its questionable lineage, it not being a custom clone of any one particular arm assembled or bought by someone else here, put you off it, at least give you paws, and/or make it misfire!?

Nice gun buy the way. Don't forget it will take a bayonet for when the pigeons realize the sideplate isn't rounded...

Note: all misspelllings in this post were intentchanel.

Alden said:
Butt, didn't its questionable lineage, it not being a custom clone of any one particular arm assembled or bought by someone else here, put you off it, at least give you paws, and/or make it misfire!?

Nice gun buy the way. Don't forget it will take a bayonet for when the pigeons realize the sideplate isn't rounded...

Note: all misspelllings in this post were intentchanel.
I just squint a little Alden. :wink:

Looks like my own short Bess from the same era. It's surprisingly good for wing shooting, not only mounting and swinging well, but also tossing very smooth patterns to good range. So good in fact that I almost never shoot ball. It's a confirmed SHOT gun. :wink:

Clearly you're already enjoying it's potential!

My mid-80's era Bess frizzen wore through last year. I shoot it a lot and the guy I bought it from shot it a lot. I bought a new frizzen from Dixie and it's as good as new. Great gun and a lot of fun. You should be able to get a couple of decades of shooting out of it before it needs any work.

Britsmoothy said:
PS, the fox tail was cured with tea leaf from a tea bag and washed down into the tail with meth's, or do you call it rubbing alcohol?

Let's go with "rubbing alcohol".

Meth means something else nowadays on this side of the pond. Something bad.

I believe he is referring to methylated spirits. Not our fault we can't speak ENGLISH :haha: Great looking gun Brit, and I'm glad to see you putting it through its paces! :hatsoff:

Back