• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting sword and baldric

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbwilliams3

45 Cal.
Reaction score
My wife gave this sword to me this past Christmas. The sword is from G. Gedney Godwin (they outsource these). It's a very fantastic sword and the scabbard is a great fit. Fantastic deal for the money. Unlike many weapons outsourced overseas, the blade actually features a period maker's stamp (seen below). Google "British sword maker Samuel Harvey" and you can see the running fox mark on some period blades.

I made the baldric utilizing veg-tanned leather that has been "tanned" (a term which in the 18th century context often meant black leather - black leather accoutrements were typically "tanned" or dyed on just one side). The buckle is a reproduction of an original dug from a Continental Army site - very similar to many British buckles of the period. Brass buckle and iron tongue.

These pics feature some items from my late 1760's/1770's kit / which doubles as my hunting gear. The rifle is my .50 cal. I made the horn and the shot pouch was crafted by James Rogers based on an original pouch with likely 18th century VA provenance. The buckle is based on one dug here in my home town. Home-made frontier-type pouches are difficult as it is hard to pin down a date on extant items, however professionally-made (by saddle maker for example) are easy with the myriad of hunting scene paintings from the period. I have home-spun pouches but this one is my favorite.

If anyone is interested, I can get a better picture of the knife in the picture now that I think about it. Made by Ken Hamilton. It is an absolute dead ringer for the prototypical circa mid-18th century English butcher/scalper knife. The blade profile and stone-ground finish is right, the Sheffield touch marks are right... Even the "cutler's cement" is right (brewer's pitch and brick dust mixed to fill in gaps and create a strong adhesive). Anyhow, this post is about the sword, so here goes:

Sir Wick, hope this suffices. Had these on my hard drive already as it turned out. I drooled over the hunting sword set up between you and Kyle Willyard... If only. Have you ever ventured into sword making yourself? No doubt you would nail it with your talent.

Thanks, Hawkeye. Winchester, eh? Love it up there. I'm in Fredericksburg myself but love driving that way when I can.

Nice. Great part of a kit. Almost required in some representations!

I have what's supposed to be an 18th C. German hunting sword (pewter pommel) and gave it to a "leather worker" named Gasparo to make me a scabbard. He, or his son playing with it, dropped it and turned the previously perect blade tip, he broke the brass frog hanger I supplied trying to rivet the washers (I had a spare), I think he got the brass scabbard tip to stay in but might have given up trying that as he did a flat seam in the back and did a grade-school shop class side seam.

I bought some dopey horn-handled repro with scabbard to carry on... In my typical kit it goes next to the bayonet.

Very, very nice. Thanks for posting the photos. I had intended to do a hunting sword this year, but it is doubtful I will find the time. Maybe though. We will see.

Back