• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting Shirt Pattern?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Friends,

I'm looking for a hunting shirt pattern to have a shirt sewn for me, of the sort made famous by BUTTERICK.
(One of our "night nurses" is very skilled at hand-sewing & is willing to do the project in her spare time after "Duckie" is asleep for the night, IF I can acquire an actual pattern for her to go by. = "Violetta" is UNWILLING to even try making a sewing pattern from a photo or a line drawing in a book.)

If you have a source for such a shirt-pattern that is correct for the post 1800 period (I want it for my TX colonial-era impression, generally 1810-36.), please advise.

yours, satx

Post1800 the shirt is just a block with triangular gussets at the sholder. The sleavs just tappered tubes gathered at the shoulder and wrist.The fringe was laid on even on the cape or capes, many dyed a contrasting color. The Fancy sleves belled in the upper arm then tighter below the elbow was a thing of the past after 1800 ...
However politics will porbably stir up less ebate then the history of rifleman frocks :haha:

Take a look at the offerings from Crazy Crow.
Their catalog shows both patterns for the make-it-yourself crowd...and finished period clothing for the rest of us.

Smoke and fire makes a good (off the rack) post 1800 hunting shirt.
The seated fellow is wearing the 1812 era frock...note the high collar.

You will have to call. These are not on their site but they do have them. She had some at New Orleans 2015.... She may can sell you a pattern.

If you are really interested I may be able to contact some tailors for you who make military/Militia hunting frocks for the 1812 period. These are a little more coat like...a little more tailored than the one pictured. I may can get you information about a "kit" to your measurements. As always the more authentic the costlier it will be. PM me if you would really be interested in a custom 1812 kit....I'll try to make the contacts for you.

I would give them some time. Delays and slow response seem to be the norm among sutlers. Most travel to events and catch up when they return.

I'd say they're more of a brick and mortar store than online based. The store has loads of items not listed on the site. I'd give them a call for prompt service. By the way, some of the nicest people to do business with.

On the subject of "Hunting Shirts"...
A buddy loaned me some clothing items last September to better enjoy the whole Primitive shooting and Woodswalk experience at Friendship.
The shirt was open all the way down the front...not a pullover, no buttons. It was simply wrapped around and secured with a woven sash and 2" wide leather belt. I liked it real well. Now I'm shopping for an outfit of my own, that will "go with" my Flintlock Southern Mountain rifle and I don't see a lot of open front options in the finished offerings, or patterns.
Am I missing something...????
Thanks.

Apparently so! This one was shown above: http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/429/3/PATTERN-92

And there's this one: http://www.crazycrow.com/riflemans-hunting-frock-pattern

For a ready made hunting shirt, that is not too expensive, and good for general use for all but very strict events, I will recommend One Blanket Trading Company. I just got a wrap around hunting shirt from them. I asked him to make the sleeves a couple inches longer for my very long arms, and I received it within about 4 days! His wraparound shirt "front panels" extend across each other (as if it were "double breasted"), so that it wraps around MUCH better and more comfortably than a plain split front will, especially for someone so thick chested as me (a plain split front will pull forward under my armpits in a not-so-comfortable manner... and it just don't want to stay closed on me!). The fabric used is called "canvas", but it's a nice, fairly tightly woven, plain weave cotton with a slightly crepe texture.
http://www.oneblanket.com/Frock-Coat-Shirt_c8.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
THANK YOU...!!! :hatsoff:
For all the time I spend on this and other forums doing research and trying to learn...I had never heard of One Blanket Trading Company.
They seem to be the "missing Link"...so to speak for some of the items I need to acquire before the June shoot in Friendship.
Their "Longhunter Wrap Shirt" is precisely the item I have been looking for.

Don Steele said:
THANK YOU...!!! :hatsoff:
For all the time I spend on this and other forums doing research and trying to learn...I had never heard of One Blanket Trading Company.
They seem to be the "missing Link"...so to speak for some of the items I need to acquire before the June shoot in Friendship.
Their "Longhunter Wrap Shirt" is precisely the item I have been looking for.

Don, does this mean we will be seeing you in the woods walk again? :blah:

Barry

Hi Barry..!!
Barring any unforseen complications, I'm definitely planning to be in Friendship this coming June. I'm still working on getting consistent results with my Southern Mountain Rifle. "Flinches" are killing me. When I control that...I get outstanding results on my offhand targets. I also need to work out the P.O.I. for the longer shots if I'm ever going to compete favorably with you and your Fowler.
See you there Pard..!!

Don Steele said:
Hi Barry..!!
Barring any unforseen complications, I'm definitely planning to be in Friendship this coming June. I'm still working on getting consistent results with my Southern Mountain Rifle. "Flinches" are killing me. When I control that...I get outstanding results on my offhand targets. I also need to work out the P.O.I. for the longer shots if I'm ever going to compete favorably with you and your Fowler.
See you there Pard..!!

Well, we look forward to your company! We will see if them scratches inside your barrel help any.

Back