• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting Season is comming

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
Remember: muzzleloaders WILL set dry leaves and brush on fire...

Smouldering patches, over powder cardboard wads can, and do hold hot ambers after leaving the barrel of a fired muzzleloader.

Flintlocks will set leaves on fire in two directions, I have seen this gone.

Believe me, I learned my lesson about using bales of hay for a cover blind too...
shocked.gif

Make sure you have a clean area if you are still hunting, it just takes a minute to brush away the leaves and fodder from your spot.

I know it is hard to think of such things in the thick of a hunt, so I look at my area before the game comes down the trail, when things are calm.

Early season hunting is also the dry season, so just remember this tip and everyone will have a safe hunt.

Please share other tips with all of us at this forum.
smile.gif

hey musketman how do you go abt. sighting in your smokepoles i have people tell me 25 yards 50 yards sometimes you get con%#^*fues*!d he he hope you are having a great day. jd

For my .58 Zouave, I sight it in at 100 yards.

My Brown Bess just has a front sight, so...
I found that at 40 yards I can aim straight down the barrel and hit my target, beyond that I have to hold over (sometimes too much)
rolleyes.gif

40 yards with my old eyes is a fair tradeoff.
grin.gif

When I barked the squirrels of Ohio, I had a .32 caliber T/C Cherokee caplock, I sure do miss that thing.

This is one method... zero POA at 75 yds and consider that your outside practical range, when hunting hold on the same spot at whatever the range ..... from up close out to 100 yds you will probably be either a little low or a little high or right on but always in the kill area. try it with your cal./ load to see how it works for you, with this method there is no guess work with holdover or under most ML loads will only have a diff of 2" above or below throughout the trajectory.

Here's my method of sighting in with my 50 cal rifles. Remember if you change charges/bullet weights then your sightin will change.

When trying a new load/bullet I sight in at 25 yards so I hit about 1" high. Using the same sight hold (dead center) this puts my bullets around 2-2.5" high at 50 yards and generally dead on at 100.

Since the vitals zone on the average White Tail is roughly 8" diamater, the deviation isnt enough to make much difference. With smaller caliber, higher speed centerfires its a different ball game.

Everyone has their prefered method, so get lots of feedback and try till ya find what works best for you.

Back