• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting Loads for Flintlock Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trimpert

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just got my 54 Caliber Lehigh from A.Martin and have Mark Wheland working on a Lehigh pistol for me (delivery next summer). Barrel on the pistol is going to be 13 inches and 54 caliber. Thinking that 30-40 grains of 3F (Swiss Powder) and a .530 ball ought to be pretty good deer medicine inside of about 25 yards. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a .50 flint pistol I sometimes carry in the deer woods as a coup de grace gun. I normally load with 40 grains of Goex 3F with a prb. I have no doubt it would be capable of dropping a deer with a very close shot.

I agree that the 40 grain load sounds like a capable hunting load for a 13" barrel. Check your state law on the use of Muzzleloading pistols. We can't use them here in NC.

mtt said:
Just got my 54 Caliber Lehigh from A.Martin and have Mark Wheland working on a Lehigh pistol for me (delivery next summer). Barrel on the pistol is going to be 13 inches and 54 caliber. Thinking that 30-40 grains of 3F (Swiss Powder) and a .530 ball ought to be pretty good deer medicine inside of about 25 yards. Any thoughts?

45 to 60 for a 54. Especially if it has a rifle twist, which for a hunting pistol is preferable IMO.
Shoot it for accuracy and see what works. Hunting its better the ere on the heavy side.
I used 60 in one 66" twist pistol and 70 in one with a 72 twist, it would not shoot well with less.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Mule deer doe 25 +- yards. 54, 70 gr, 9" barrel.
Ball stopped at the off side hide
Dan

DSC02831.jpg

Latest posts

Back