• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunter Orange Capote

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After purchasing my first Capote from Northwest Traders last year and having such great success at staying warm in it even in sub-zero temperatures, I decided I wanted one I could wear during our Minnesota deer gun seasons. I looked at a number of options at "covering up" the one I have with a shoulder cape, etc, but in the end decided to just have a new Capote made.

Well, try to find an orange Capote! :surrender: I could not even find a heavy orange wool blanket or orange material to have one made. Several customer makers turned me down because orange is not a traditional color. I guess these folks would rather have someone wear completely non-traditional hunting clothing than traditionally styled clothing in a non-traditional color. :youcrazy:

Well Paul at Northwest Traders agreed to work with me and had his blanket maker special make a blanket in orange. He then put together the Capote exactly to my specs including two large inside pockets (his standard is one large inside pocket.) This thing is HEAVY and should provide great warmth during our cold November/December gun hunting seasons.

Technically, it's not Blaze Orange and in the picture the true color doesn't seem to come out as orange as it is, but it will do for me.

My thanks to Paul for working with me. His service is outstanding!

DSCN1039 by mdheaser

DSCN1041 by mdheaser

Good idea. I've been thinking of having a hunter orange weskit made. My goal with the cut and styling to be that if photographed in black and white, no one would know it is hunter orange and would think it hc/pc.

Very good looking capote, At least they can see it's not a critter,an throw lead at it :hmm:

Thats a really neat idea.

As a side note, are you standing on a barn?

I did similar, got blaze orange wool from beaglewear in Vermont, pricey but a nice weskit came out of it.

Nifty and sharp. Kudos for your plan and execution with Northwest Traders!

dang it man I wish I had known. I have access to untold yards of brand new blaze orange 22 oz Johnson mills fabric. A friend owned a garment factory that had a contract to make clothing for them. He has hunter green and red striped charcoal also

Henry Morrison said:
I have access to untold yards of brand new blaze orange 22 oz Johnson mills fabric.

Well, at least if someone else sees this and decides they want to pursue having something similar made, they have a source for orange wool! I would not have believed how hard it was...and I scoured Johnson Mills web site and many others too!

horner75 said:
your knit cap Where did you get that?

I think the knit cap may have come from Jas Townsend...can't remember. I know ToW has them as well as Northwest Traders.

When I talked to Jas Townsend about possibly making something orange they laughed and told me it took an act of God just to get an orange voyagers hat on the menu!

Spikebuck said:
When I talked to Jas Townsend about possibly making something orange they laughed and told me it took an act of God just to get an orange voyagers hat on the menu!

Send that photo, and a photocopy of a couple of hundred dollar bills to Townsend as a reminder of what could have been theirs.

My wife made a blaze orange capote out of polar fleece. I've been wearing it for better than 14 years.

Only problem is the stick-tights, burrs, and whatnot will grab on tight.

I wish I was in MN. I don't think WI would allow that capote to pass for blaze orange. I specifically went with polar fleece because the synthetic fabrics hold neon colors and don't fade.

Back