• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Howdy Folks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5knives

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i've been shooting the front stuffers on and off since '62 or so, can't believe it took me this long to find this forum.

Just wasn't looking I guess.

I just assumed that anything on the web was club or organization oriented, and ever since I got out of the Marine Corps in '62 I haven't been much for joining things.

Picked up a brand new Pedersoli "Indian Trade Musket" a couple of weeks ago and I started browsing the net, trying to find some loads and hints on using it.

This is a wonderful site, you have here!

I've already found the information I was seeking, learned about a dozen or so new things (and found about 2 dozen things I already knew that just aren't so.) :eek:

I like it when that happens!

I may not post very often, but I'll be reading the posts and pondering some, hope that's okay with everyone.

Best Regards,

:)

5knives,
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you
with us. If you still think about working you are
unemployed if you don't your retired.
Hope you will join in and contribute
whenever you can. Thats what makes this forum what
it is.
again welcome and stay active
I am snake-eyes :hatsoff:

Thank you kindly for the welcome Mr. snake-eyes!

As a cousin of ours used to say, "I'm just as proud to be here!"

And I'd like to second the Erin Go Bragh!

My sentiments exactly as they say.

Regards,

5Knives

5knives,
Welcome to the best forum on the www. Here, as you have already noticed, we discuss muzzle loading firearms. Nothing more. But we do it very well. Of course, we do cuss each other in our discussions but it is jest and no offence is suggested. We welcome your knowledge and are willing to share ours. No one is turned away just because he/she was/is a Marine. :master: So join in when you like. We will be waiting to hear from you. :crackup: :applause:

Merle
USAF, (Ret)

Thank you kindly merdean!

I'm pleased to hear that mild cussin' is okay, sometimes there just aren't any other words that fit.

Discuss Muzzleloading only here?

Guess that means I can't tell how I once killed a 10 foot Grizzly Bear with nothing but my pocket comb and a tent peg. (He was really 12 foot, but I wouldn't expect anyone to believe me if I said that.)

Too bad... one of my favprite stories and I know it's true because I was there and saw it with my own eyes.

Air Force huh!

Fine bunch of folks there, know how to live well, good food, except the coffee .... need to borrow a few Navy Mess Cooks to teach 'em how to make coffee.

Thanks again for the welcome!

Regards

Welcome to the forum 5kines!

Anyone who has been burnin' black powder since '62 is bound to have a lot to share. I'm just a pup and didn't get started until the late 70's.

Anyway, good to have a feller of your experience and humor. Sounds like you'll fit right in.

Rocky Point Jack

I thank you for the kind words Rocky Point Jack.

Burnin' powder since '62 .. yes Sir, that I have done for a fact.

Actually some exploded, (I told her not to put that can too close to the fire!) but that's a long and painful story. short version is, no one got hurt but you might as well be killed as scared to death.

Half a can of fff can be pretty impressive, and leads to exercising a certain caution thereafter. Like NEVER load directly from the can or flask.

Late 70's would have been a great time to get started, reasonable selection of guns and accessories, and good information availible as to how to use things.

60's was more like read the Dixie Catalog carefully, pay attention to Mr. Kirklands advice and hints and go figure it out for yourself.

And try not to kill yourself or anyone else.

Lot of fun, once you got past the embarrasing parts.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Regards

Welcome 5knives
You have found a group of friendly, very knowlegable people. I have learned and laughed a lot here. Jump in when you can.
Flint50 :front:

Thank you Flint50,

I'm really impressed with this Forum and the people on it.

The more I read here the more I learn ... and that's a good thing.

Thanks for the welcome

Regards

Welcome to the best muzzleloading site on the net, hope you enjoy yourself! :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Greetings from the Sunny Southland, 5knives! Sure hope you post the results with your "Son of Peter" Indian Trade Musket, sounds like that's gonna be fun and interesting :RO:

Son o' a gun. Since '62? I wasn't big enough to pick up a long rifle back in '62. :hatsoff: Well, pick a spot by the fire and tell us what you've learned in your two score years of smokepole shooting.

Thank you for the warm welcome Swampfox ,

Man, you picked a name to live up to didn't you?

Expect you do it proud!

Thank you also Dixie Flinter, don't mind if I don't envy your location for a few months .... I promise you I'll make up for it come January and february.

I will report back on the "Trade Gun", I'm sure you'll take my word for how she shoots, I don't expect I'll be able to get my camera fixed for pictures (especially of targets) for quite some time. :)

Actually I have a little Pedersoli .32 convertable that I've been shooting a lot since i bought her in Denver in '85 (?) or thereabouts. The flintlock is so fast that there really isn't much more lag than shooting her as a percussion.

Dandy on squirrels and rabbits, and has taken a few coon as well as some fox. Lots of soda cans and the other kind as well. I do truly love that gun.

This'll be my first smoothbore though, and as I was always renowned for being a lousy shotgunner, I really don't expect much out of the combination of me and any smoothbore.

Durn thing really seems to fit me though, and I have hopes.

Still assembling the necessities, hope to get out to the range (30 miles or so, one way) next week. Thank you for your kind welcome,

Regards,

Gary

Son o' a gun. Since '62? I wasn't big enough to pick up a long rifle back in '62. :hatsoff: Well, pick a spot by the fire and tell us what you've learned in your two score years of smokepole shooting.

thank You for the Welcome Gary!
(Great Name by the way.)

I can only think of a couple of things I've learned, and they are as follows;

1. don't be too embarrassed when you forget to take your Ramrod out before you fire, everybody's done that at least once, and those who have not will do so.

2. Ditto for loading the patched ball before the powder.

3. Don't waste your breath telling a new guy not to shoot at running deer, or over a hundred yards. He WILL do it, "just to see if he can". then he'll blame his gun.

My favorite, goes like this:

(The new guy is an expert rifleman, regularly gets his deer at 300-400 yards with a 7mm Rem Mag, watched him do it many times. I'd spent all summer teaching and coaching him with his TC .50.)

Telephone rings 9 pm opening day evening ...

NG "This muzzle loader is a piece of manure, I'm never going to hunt with it again. It's no good. I missed a great Buck today"

Me "How far away was he?"

NG "Only about 200 yards."

Me "Was he standing?"

NG "No but he wasn't running very fast. Besides I lead him a lot."

Me "I told you not to do that. How much lead?"

NG "D__n near two feet! This gun is junk.""

No need to repeat the rest, I'm sure all here can figure it out.

4. Learning stuff is easy, it's un-learning all the stuff you think you know that turns out to be wrong. Thats the hard part.

Thanks to all here for the warm welcome, and the expert answers and advice!

This is a GREAT Forum with GREAT people on it!

Guess the 2 naturally go together!

Regards,

Gary

Back