• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How Were They Shipped?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uhhhhh.....the Arabia steamboat museum has several Allen pocket pistols on display along with a few shotguns. So they were carrying arms. Or were you thinking of military muskets?

For packing they may have used wood wool or Excelsior which is basically long thin shavings of wood. This was in use in the mid 1800's for furniture stuffing, mattresses etc. It is still made and used today.

The box was probably wood like this 1894 Winchester box made to ship 10 rifles.
Original Winchester Model 1894 Wooden Shipping Box

Last edited:
Along with the Arabia steamboat (very fine museum in KC), there is an equally good one on the W edge of Iowa, the steamer Bertrand, 1865. Anyone doing reenactments or research on artifacts of the Civil War period should see these.
As near as I can tell from quick searches, Betrand carried weaponry, but only ammunition was recovered, some packed in wooden boxes.

Steamer Bertrand 1865 DeSoto Bend

Time capsule: Cargo from 1865 steamboat wreck on display at DeSoto refuge

The Steamboat Bertrand Museum « The Turner Brigade--Missouri Volunteers, U.S.

The Steamboat Bertrand Museum « The Turner Brigade--Missouri Volunteers, U.S.

Mt Howitzer ammo packing boxes

Uhhhhh.....the Arabia steamboat museum has several Allen pocket pistols on display along with a few shotguns. So they were carrying arms. Or were you thinking of military muskets?

At the museum, they said that the boats were not carrying cargo arms. Passengers & crew were free to carry personal weapons.

All the people got off the Arabia, the only drowning was a mule. Surely they had time to gather their belongings for a few minutes. All the same model Allen pocket pistols ( a bunch when I was there) that I saw must have been a shipment, maybe off the record.

Latest posts

Back