• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to solder on a ramrod thimble

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bighorserider

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have an old Wm Moore style pistol, and the thimble came off. I've built a few guns but have never soldered a brass thimble to a steel under rib. I'm looking for suggestions.

What I would do is clean the thimble and the rib where it goes real well, even sanding these areas to get them clean. Get some liquid silver solder, its just powdered solder in a tube with flux. wrap the barrel on both sides of the thimble with wet rags. keeping the water away from joint put the solder on and heat till it melts. Use the solder sparingly the flux will take off the browning. As soon as its set cool with wet rags.

Clean the parts. Tin them with regular lead solder. Flux with rosin. Jig it in place with a metal round and wire. Heat the assembly, barrel and all, with a propane torch until the solder just melts . You will probably need to refinish.

That said if everything is clean. Flux with rosin. Jig, heat, hope for the best.

I had rib and thimble problems with a half stock rifle I built last summer. The first time the rib and both thimbles were done together and looked good.....for a week. Then the rib came loose. My fault, I forgot to tin the rib along with the barrel before soldering them. I cleaned everything up then tinned both rib and barrel, clamped the thimbles and rib to the barrel and redid the soldering. Again everything looked good....for a month. While shooting it, the forward thimble came loose. Not wanting to go through the whole mess again, I got out the JB weld, cleaned the rib and thimble and applied a coat to both. Some JB squeezed out but I let it set till it began to harden, then scraped the excess off the joint with an Exacto knife. You can't tell the presence of the JB weld and its held up this time. Not traditional but unless you tell some one they won't know. I have a half stock English percussion fowler missing the front thimble and am going to do the same for it. I sure don't want to fool around and mess up an original gun by trying to resolder it.

Attachments

• 20190212_150929.jpg
    20190212_150929.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 62
  • FB_IMG_1527790804389.jpg
    FB_IMG_1527790804389.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 53

Latest posts

Back