• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How To Measure A Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

58 Cal.
Reaction score
The thread concerning cutting a barrel had a little input about a Lyman Deerstalker, which I also own. Lyman lists the length as 24" yet Investarms states the same gun has a 25" barrel, but that poster said his was shorter still.

So I ran the rod down and marked it. 23.5" and I assume the patent breech makes up the lacking 1/2".

Is this how one measures the length?

As an aside I've also considered a shorter (18-20") barrel in .54 cal for hunting thick stuff for hogs. That or a 12" steel framed Buffalo with a stock. One of those .58 cal Dragoons with the stock seems nifty as well for such a purpose.

There is no industry standard. They all measure differently depending on how they want to brag,,

Most all use outside measurements,
But some measure from where the barrel meets the breech,,
,some will measure including the breech (all the way to the end).
Nobody measures internally as a means for barrel length.

Look at it this way; If a Game Warden, BATF&E or LEO feels the need to measure your barrel length to see if it's in compliance,,
It's going to be ALL of the blue, rust brown or polished steel he can SEE.
That means it'll include the breech plug,, you can argue about the tang/hook as not being part of the barrel.
But if your going to go 18"(?) and some cop doesn't like the length of the barrel because he thinks it's too short,, he's NOT going to include the 1" of exposed breech plug. And it will be up to your lawyer to prove him wrong.
(can you say "plea bargain"?)

There are no restrictions that I know of regarding short barrels on black powder guns with barrels below 18" (or with an overall length from butt to muzzle of 26") as would be the case with a modern, breech loading shotgun..., except for Illinois and New Jersey.

If one wants to know the actual distance, perhaps to determine the actual rotation of the ball before it exits, then you need to use the ramrod as a measure, from where the bullet is seated on the powder, to the muzzle. Otherwise most people seem to measure from the edge of the barrel where the breech is inserted, to the muzzle...even though the interior of the barrel may differ a bit.

LD

rodwha said:
The thread concerning cutting a barrel had a little input about a Lyman Deerstalker, which I also own. Lyman lists the length as 24" yet Investarms states the same gun has a 25" barrel, but that poster said his was shorter still.

So I ran the rod down and marked it. 23.5" and I assume the patent breech makes up the lacking 1/2".

Is this how one measures the length?

As an aside I've also considered a shorter (18-20") barrel in .54 cal for hunting thick stuff for hogs. That or a 12" steel framed Buffalo with a stock. One of those .58 cal Dragoons with the stock seems nifty as well for such a purpose.

Just a suggestion, and I'm gonna presume more than one tusker.
Lop off some butt and barrel from a yard sale Renegade with pyrodex disease. Lap it out, funnel the muzzle, refit the front sight and use a old nipple with a big flash hole.
Hey this reminds me of having hogs tearing up the back yard in Liberty County. Something to try was sizing the bullets to slide down the bore and have a plastic card wad epoxy'd to the nose. Fast reload with the grease in the angle between the nose and card (hence plastic). But we went expat instead so the hogs are probably still gathered around the work shop in the evenings...

I have been involved with muzzleloading for just a bit over 40 years and the way I have most often seen barrel length measurements expressed is to measure on the outside of the barrel from the muzzle to where the breach plug meets the barrel. It is the length of the barrel as if it was out of the stock with the breach plug removed just as it came off the barrel makers bench. If one were to measure inside the bore from the muzzle to the breach plug, that is the bore length. It is a measurement of more interest to ballisticians.

I measure'em from one end to the other :surrender: . but seriously, if it's a T/C or Investarms or similar I measure from muzzle to front of breechplug. if it's a CVA or some such I measure it's complete length plug & all.

Every muzzleloading barrel I've bought had a overall length that measured just what the barrel company said it should.

From the face of the muzzle to the rear face of the un-breached barrel where the breech plug threads start, a "42 inch" barrel measured 42 inches. :shocked2:

I know a gunsmith and he stated that when they would come by his shop and inspect barrels, they would drop an 18" rod down the bore. If any was sticking out, then it was in violation. This however was with smokeless. When I measured my barrels according to what the manufacture stated, they were the length of the entire barrel.

Measured the exterior of the barrel sans breech plug and it was 25" as Investarms states. I'm guessing that Lyman is apparently using the interior dimensions.

Though barrel length isn't supposed to be an issue per our government (and most states) I can certainly seeing using the interior dimensions to keep some of those pesky game wardens from causing problems.

although both have the plug screwed into the end of the blank, on T/C's, Lymans & the like the breechplug is stickin' out past the end of the barrel blank an inch. on CVA's and such the plug is screwed in flush and the end of the blank goes plumb to the tang & the drum or flash-hole goes right into the barrel just ahead of the plug.

Mooman76 said:
I know a gunsmith and he stated that when they would come by his shop and inspect barrels, they would drop an 18" rod down the bore. If any was sticking out, then it was in violation. This however was with smokeless. When I measured my barrels according to what the manufacture stated, they were the length of the entire barrel.
And if a rifle they would be absolutely WRONG

Why?

I hunted a field this weekend with very tall rye grass, short barrel Dragoons have no use hogs, hogs were lying in the grass, have to shoot them before the grass.

Thick stuff, you are not going to get close.

Went to a bean field rifle (sorry Clyde), managed 5 hogs.

Saw to 24 hogs during lunch and each evening.

rde

Mostly as a more manuervable weapon in case I were to need to track a wounded one. Though I've never had to do so yet it's something I'm not too fond of doing and I want something that I can swing around quickly if need be.

I've done most of my hunting in central Texas near a little town called Doss (NW of Fredericksburg) and it has just pockets of thick stuff. My 24" Deerstalker is well suited for that.

Following the topic.
I recall this discussion long ago with Bill Curtis, his response to the Enfield Service manual states something to the effect:
1- a barrel is measured it's length not including the tang.
2- barrels with hook breech, include the patent breech but not the hook.
Who knows what today's ML makers are stating?
One would think the effective rifling might make sense.

Latest posts

Back