• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to make a sear spring (Jukar,CVA,Traditions)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make mine from the steel straping used on pallets. You can cold work it and cut it with a file to shape it. To get the "ring" wrap it around a nail using channel locks. It will take you a few tries to get it right but the material is usually free.

I ran into a broken sear spring on a .45 jukar percussion pistol. While I do have a traditions one on the way, I figured the true "black powder way" would be to make your own!

Someone on a Facebook group suggested I start with a binder clip... check out the little video below for a step-by-step.

awesome info

I make mine from the steel straping used on pallets. You can cold work it and cut it with a file to shape it. To get the "ring" wrap it around a nail using channel locks. It will take you a few tries to get it right but the material is usually free.
Awesome idea!! How do you go about tempering it to get the "spring" back in it?

Great!

Now we'll have to register our binder clips and pay the 200 dollar tax stamp or risk having them seized by the ATF.

I guess the ITAR list just got a little longer too.

We all knew Bump Stocks, Pistol Braces and 80% Receivers were just the beginning.

Last edited:
Awesome idea!! How do you go about tempering it to get the "spring" back in it?
Strapping steel worked cold does not loose the spring. However I usually make my springs from metal cutting bandsaw blades. I work them hot to shape, quench in oil and temper them back in molten lead. They last longer than strapping steel for me.

Strapping steel worked cold does not loose the spring. However I usually make my springs from metal cutting bandsaw blades. I work them hot to shape, quench in oil and temper them back in molten lead. They last longer than strapping steel for me.
Can you simplify the molten led stuff for me? Do you need a thermometer?

Can you simplify the molten led stuff for me? Do you need a thermometer?
Lead melts at 621° F, I usually just use my lead pot set for casting round balls/bullets, I think it's set for 700° F. I place the hardened spring in the molten lead and when it floats it's tempered. I take the spring and let it air cool. When making larger springs like main springs, I test them with the vise, flexing them a bunch of times. If they are tempered right they will not snap/break. For smaller springs like sear springs I use a pair of pliers to squeeze them a bunch of times as a test.

Last edited:
Led melts at 621° F, I usually just use my lead pot set for casting round balls/bullets, I think it's set for 700° F. I place the hardened spring in the molten lead and when it floats it's tempered. I take the spring and let it air cool. When making larger springs like main springs, I test them with the vise, flexing them a bunch of times. If they are tempered right they will not snap/break. For smaller springs like sear springs I use a pair of pliers to squeeze them a bunch of times as a test.
Good deal! I need a lead pot :/ still kinda new in the hobby and haven't cast lead yet. I've done some pewter stuff though!

Latest posts

Back