• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you eat them

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now, that sounds like something good to try!

Never underestimate the versatility of simple foods in the hands of creative cooks.

Notchy Bob
Yes, I definitely got to try that. Got a bag of raw jumbo shrimp frozen, been saving to make a seafood chowder. Maybe once I work my way thru these holiday left overs I’ll do shrimp and grits instead. Add some Goya chicken bullion to the grits water.
Works great with rice, another grain I’m fond of.

I'm of the opinion that any time that you must 'doctor' something to make it palatable, you shouldn't be eating it in the first place. Grits ae nothing more than boiled cornmeal (cornmeal mush) which in itself began as a Depression Era meal. Every time I visited 'The South' and was served grits. I made the server remove them, because they're disgusting. It's like oysters in Louisiana. they must be 'doctored with hot sauce and such before they can be eaten, because they too, are disgusting. Not a 'picky' eater, either. In Viet-Nam. ate monkey, cooked over an open fire. It's just, slimy and nasty won't go into my mouth.
1. Grits aren’t “boiled cornmeal,” they’re boiled ground hominy. The nixtamalazation of the corn before grinding makes the B vitamins more accessible, which is why there’s no evidence of pellagra in Eastern Woodlands populations, or among colonial whites.

2. Cornmeal mush has been eaten and enjoyed all up and down the Americas since centuries before the implosion of the white man’s economy spawned the Great Depression. Although the widespread distribution and use of non-nixtamalized and degerminated Midwestern corn (replacing locally-grown corn which was rarely degerminated) in the late 1890s was largely responsible for the pellagra epidemics of the early 20th century. During the Depression, as farmers began growing less cotton and more food, pellagra largely disappeared in the South.

3. You’re right about the oysters, though.

Jay

1. Grits aren’t “boiled cornmeal,” they’re boiled ground hominy. The nixtamalazation of the corn before grinding makes the B vitamins more accessible, which is why there’s no evidence of pellagra in Eastern Woodlands populations, or among colonial whites.

2. Cornmeal mush has been eaten and enjoyed all up and down the Americas since centuries before the implosion of the white man’s economy spawned the Great Depression. Although the widespread distribution and use of non-nixtamalized and degerminated Midwestern corn (replacing locally-grown corn which was rarely degerminated) in the late 1890s was largely responsible for the pellagra epidemics of the early 20th century. During the Depression, as farmers began growing less cotton and more food, pellagra largely disappeared in the South.

3. You’re right about the oysters, though.

Jay
Right on, I’d have to Google pellagra though.

Disagree on the oysters however. Raw fried on in a stew oysters are fine eating. 😁

I'm of the opinion that any time that you must 'doctor' something to make it palatable, you shouldn't be eating it in the first place. Grits ae nothing more than boiled cornmeal (cornmeal mush) which in itself began as a Depression Era meal. Every time I visited 'The South' and was served grits. I made the server remove them, because they're disgusting. It's like oysters in Louisiana. they must be 'doctored with hot sauce and such before they can be eaten, because they too, are disgusting. Not a 'picky' eater, either. In Viet-Nam. ate monkey, cooked over an open fire. It's just, slimy and nasty won't go into my mouth.
Im thinking all those corn dishes predate the depression by a few thousand years. And we’re all well know to whites in colonial times.
Romans used to dip bread in spiced olive oil. And Greeks ate it with olive relish.
Who eats just plain boiled potatoes or pancakes with out topping of some sort
Do you butter your bread or ketchup your fries? Burger on a bun, no lettuce onion pickle?

lol. i love grits. mix grits in my oatmeal. lol. just water oats and grits. reckon its a southern thing.

On many trips to Africa, we would have a lunch while in the bush of grits and sausage cooked on an open fire with this chunky tomato sauce for the grits. Well damn it was fantastic. Now here at home my wife makes some great salsa from our garden ingredients and we have the salsa on grits with venison, bear or whatever we happen to have for dinner. Everyone looks at us strange when we say salsa on grits, until they try it. This has become one of our staple dinners here.
Have you ever tried Ugali ? I hope I spelled it correctly. It is a mound of grits covered in many different kinds of vegetables, it is a common African dish.

Have you ever tried Ugali ? I hope I spelled it correctly. It is a mound of grits covered in many different kinds of vegetables, it is a common African dish.
I have eaten so many things over there That I mostly remember the different kinds of meat, but I think everytime I had grits there it always had a tomato sauce available. Heading back in June for another safari and now thinking about the meals!

There's a lot of ways to eat them, but this is the only correct way. Soft fried eggs with hog head cheese. Let the cheese melt and mix it up together. Bon appetite bon ami.

Attachments

• 20240108_072326.jpg
    20240108_072326.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240108_072555.jpg
    20240108_072555.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I like my grits in a pan
Sugar sweet eat them I can
I like my grits fried with egg
And grits in bowl,
Put in bacon I eat them slow
Cajun grits with shrimp and cheese
Mexican grits, give me more please
Even Yankee grits is fine, maple syrup and concord wine
Give me grits give them now
Cook them up any old how
My sentiments exactly! BRING IT ON!

I do love some grits. Don't think I have had bad grits. As an entree, fairly firm smothered with redeye gravy with with a few eggs over easy and ham as a side. Best with biscuits. Dessert, smothered with butter and honey.
I do love some grits.
you know how to fix grits!

Latest posts

Back