• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How Do You Clean The Moulds ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nilo52

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Today I Got A Great Daddys Gift ! My Honey Got Me Two Moulds And An Electric Casting Pot And A Ladle,And A Great Big Kiss ! And Now I Have Another Question; How Do You Get The Black Gunk Off Of The Moulds After You Have Casted A Whole Bunch Of Shiny Round Ball Ammo? I Fluxed The Pot Per Advice In The Forum And That Worked Great! But Now My Brand New Moulds Are Stained/Gunked With ?? :idunno: The Manufacter Sez To Use White Gas To Clean Off Any Oil ETC. But Does Not Say Anything About This Black Residue Thingy Stuff. Are The Moulds Supposed To Look Like This After Using 'Em Or Did I Do Something Wrong (not an unusual thing i'm afraid) And Mess Up My New Toys ? The Moulds Still Work As Far As I Can Tell But Since I'm New To Casting About 1 In 4 Come Out Less Than Perfect, (o.k. a LOT less than perfect) But I Am Marking That Down To Pilot Error :redface: Other Than A Small Quarter Sized 1st Degree Burn ( I Have Learned That Long Sleaves Are A Very Good Idea For Me) I Have Had A Fantastic Day!

Slightly Burned And Very Confused Nilo

I'm not sure what anyone else will say about this, but for me, if your molds are putting out good bullets, that is good.

When I am done casting, I leave a bullet in my mold. That way, I figure, the inside will not rust or get dirty or whatever. Then the next time I go to casting that bullet again, I have one already done and after the mold gets warmed up, I'm off once again to making bullets.

Hopes this helps you.
Outdoorman

I would make sure the molds are good and hot before you pour lead into them. As for the black stuff you mentioned, if it isn't inside the ball cavity and the mold blocks close good and tight, I don't think I would worry about it.
Stick with the casting, you'll get the hang of it. You might want to use a folded up old damp towel to drop the balls onto from the mold. I found for me that worked better than dropping them into a can of water.

Wearing protective clothing is a good idea. Are the moulds steel or aluminum? I would not wory about the outside of the mould too much. As far as not casting too many good balls, it sounds like your lead is not hot enough or your mould is too cool, or both. Place the mould on top of the lead to keep it hot. Can you post pictures of the black gunk?

I use welders gloves and safety goggles when I cast. You can never be too safe. Make sure you are in a well ventilated area.

Mold cleaning...
You know that alcohol, peroxide, soap solution that folks on the forum regularly disagree about? Well, that's what I use with an old tooth brush to clean the oil off of mold blocks before casting. Afterward rinse with 91% alcohol to remove the water content.
Tried various methods. This way works real good for me.

I Actually Made 200 Perfect Balls Last Night Before I Got Tired ! About 30 To 40 Of Those Were Not Perfect But Still Had A Great Time Doing Them. I Think I'm Hooked On This Cast-Your-Own Bullets Thing ! The Amount I Saved Paid For The Scrap Lead I Had To Buy, And The Cost Of One Of The Moulds. At This Rate I Will Be In The Black Before To Long. :grin:

Live And Learn ! The Boo Boo I Got Was From Droping An Imperfect Ball Back Into My Caster Pot. I Had Thick Leather Gloves And Protective Eye Wear (my glasses are Unfortunatly preety Thick) As Well As Closed Toe Shoes. But When A very Small Drop Of Lead Splashed Up From the Pot, It Got Me On My Forearm . It Is Really A Very Small Burn, But I Have No Pride To Say I Did A Newbe Oops :cursing: I Have Never Learned Much From My Successes But Much From My mistakes. Thanks For The Advice ! The Blocks Are Lee Aluminium Moulds And In Describing The Gunk I'm Afraid I Over Stated The Amount. Its Not Really All That Bad, Just Unexpected . As For Posting Pics, Well Lets Just Say I'm Not As Computer Savy As I Should Like To be :redface: I Want To Thank All You Folks For Your Help And advice, HAPPY FATHERS DAY !!
A Wiser Nilo52
:v

Its hard to learn how to keep the mold blocks, and the lead, hot enough to pour good balls or bullets. Each mold is a bit different in what it likes by way of technique. But, you can't get a mold too hot for RBs. They will come out frosted, but they shoot just fine!

I used an old plumber's lead pot for years to melt lead, and just learned to rest the closed mold on the top edge of the pot, to keep it hot. I used a dipper, and kept the blocks as close to the top of the molten lead as physically possible, and the dipper floating on the top of the molten lead. That is how I was able to cast the longest string of balls or bullets that passed inspection. Use a damp towel to drop the balls on.

Periodically( as when you have to add more lead to the pot) roll the new balls off the towel into a cardboard box. Do a visual inspection as they roll off the towel, and pick up any bad ones to dump back into the pot. That is the time to also pick up sprues and pour them back into the pot. We had a wide metal plate under the pot and stove, to protect the bench top from being burned, and catch the sprues from the mold. A large spoon, or a piece of cardboard and a wisk broom was all that was needed to clean up the metal plate, and put the sprues into the pot.

When we bought a bottom pour mold, the steel plate stayed, but now it caught any drips from the spout, too. I learned to hold the cut-off plate of my Lyman molds right up against the spout, before opening the spout to pour lead into the mold. The heat of the pot immediately heats the cut off plate, which transfers that heat down into the mold, too, by convection.

The nice part about using electric melting furnaces with bottom pours is that they have a wide ledge at the top of the pot, where a mold can be rested and heated while your hands are doing something else.

A hundred bullets or balls an hour is a pretty good rate for casting, if you are using a single cavity mold. Don't rush it. This is one time when Haste REALLY DOES make Waste! If you need to cast more balls than that per hour, consider buying "gang" molds(ie. 2,4,6, and even 8 cavity molds.)

You will shortly develop your own rhythm to use with each given mold, and that will maximize the number of good balls or bullets you cast.

Best wishes, and welcome to the world of casting. :hatsoff:

It is pretty much cosmetic (the staining) and won't hurt the functioning of the mold. If it still bothers, you can use some 0000 steel wool to clean the blocks up. Just be careful of the top where the sprue plate is. Maybe a bit of detergent would help also. Rub pencil lead on that portion of the mold and the bottom of the sprue plate as lube. Congratulations on a great Father's Day gift and a sweet wife.

The black maybe some smoking of the molds. I have been of the understanding that if you hold the molds over the flame of a candle for a few seconds that the balls release much easier. Then again who knows??? It works for me.

Lots of good advice already but I'll proffer a bit of wisdom - AHEM! - err...suggestions, anyway. As has been mentioned, as long as the mold is casting shiny ball I wouldn't worry about the mold exterior. If you have an iron/steel mold I'd keep it in something air tight with a desiccant. I don't like to store them oiled and have to clean them for each use. Ferrous molds will rust when exposed to air whether a ball is left in or not. In an arid climate this is not a problem. Our view is that, within reason, the hotter the lead the better. We store molds in military ammo boxes with desiccant and they don't rust even when kept in a humid basement. Wearing an apron of some sort is a must as is eye protection. We still get a few hot lead flecks no matter how careful and we've been casting some 45 years. Practice will make you better.

It sounds to me like you have got it down. Congratulations on your success. It is always nice to know that if you need balls or bullets, you don't have to wait for delivery. You can take a little time and make up a batch yourself. It's just like working up a load for your guns---you practice until you find what works best.

It is satisfying, to me at least, when I make meat with a ball or bullet that I have cast myself.

Outdoorman

I've Been Using Lead From Old lead Pipes I Found Out At A Local Scrap Yard As Well As Some Old Roof Jacks. This Lead Is As Close To "pure" Lead I Can Find . My Casted Round Balls Are Heaver Than The Ones I Bought From Traditions. They Are Easier To Load, As Well As Leaving A Nice "Ring" When The Loading Lever Seats Them. This Is Just Better Ammo Period ! :thumbsup:
Nilo52

My brother has lead that was stripped from very old telephone lines. It makes good bullets and he and I have used it for years now. If he runs out, we'll be in for a culture shock for sure when we have to try to find outher sources.

Outdoorman

Back