• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how accurate is you pistols at 25yd?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buttonbuck

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Got out on the range with a crocket 32 pistol and a great plains pistol. Group wise the guns would both do between 2 and 4" Now the great plains I have swithched to a 535 rb wa .15 patch real tight and leaves an impression on the ball from the starter. shooting 45 grains of 3f powder since I dream to hunt deer with this load I am working up to it. using the max load of 50 of 3f the bullets were everywhere. the crocket 15 of 3f a .315 .10 patch ballwas tighter mostly around 2" this is off a solid rest. what kind of groups do you all get with these guns, any pet loads. I really think I will go back to 530 balls when I run out. When you hit a lemon with the plains pistol they blow up real good and finally do you all know where I could find a good table on these guns I would like to see fps etc... on these loads. mostly for the plains pistol so I am with in the legal limit I know the 45g will comply with deer hunting laws in Illinois from what Lyman said.

The Lyman Black Powder Handbook says a .54 cal "Single Shot Pistol" with a 8 inch barrel with 1:30 twist has the following velocity shen shooting a .530 roundball patched with a .015 patch:

GOEX FFg
40 grains = 843 fps muzzle velocity
45 grains = 894 fps "
50 grains = 939 fps "

GOEX FFFg
40 grains = 949 fps muzzle velocity
45 grains = 1007 fps "
50 grains = 1044 fps "

At 25 yards, the 1044 fps drops down to 972 fps with 465 ft/lbs of energy

hope this helps you

zonie :)

Buttonbuck, a friend of mine shoots 1.5" groups with his Plains Pistol from a rest at 50m using the Lee REAL.

This past Saturday I hit a 13" steel rim at 65m with mine three out of four times using PRB. Took one sighter to correct for the fall of the ball. The rim was upright on the ground so it fell 4.5m short when I aimed dead on. I elevated to about 6 inches (at the rim) above the rim and hit it three times. Couldnt see which was my shots as this rim has been thorugh hell and back. But I heard the ring. I shot 50gr FFg as my FFFg was finished.

here is a picture of the worlds most inaccurate pistol at 15yrds i can hit a styrafoam cooler 3out of 5 shots one at the top one at the bottom and one on it some where :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
100_1496.jpg

Please send it to me for "accurizing" and "tuning." I promise that within a year or so I'll have it shooting better - at least I'll send you the targets to "prove" it!

:rotf: :) :grin:

yeah I totally nailed a lemon and it splatted good. I am so used to not componsating at 25 yards, this is where most of my hunting shots are at. To hit the lemon I aimed low and to the right. have to go out and play more. Has that lyman book been updated as of late I am about done with the clean shot stuff I have and have a can of goex 3f I would like to compare some tables.

Latest posts

Back