• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How about some Horseradish?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colorado Clyde said:
I like homemade horseradish, It's like snorting a bumblebee soaked in kerosene.

Horseradish is the secret ingredient for a good Bloody Mary

I hope you are not smokin' when you are doing that.

I don't know if it s secret or not, but, some restaurants around here put some horseradish in their coleslaw.

so when my eldest was in his mid-teens, he yelled downstairs to me in the basement, " Hey Dad what's this white stuff in the fridge"?
I yelled back up "I don't know, smell it".
He screamed and I heard him hit the floor. When I got to the top of the stairs he was on his hands and knees, trying to breath.
Didn't spill any though.
Woodbutcher

Last edited by a moderator:
Last time I moved I transplanted my horseradish...The location was not ideal and it died after a couple years.....Then I went to the grocery store and bought a horseradish root, cut into pieces and planted....Each piece grew.

Smart way to get a new start Clyde. I keep little pieces about an inch square when I chop it and replant it or a piece that still has some leaves attached to the top. Ours is just starting to peek through again after the winter.

I was told years ago to harvest horse radish in months with an "r" but suspect it makes no difference.

Kansas Jake said:
I was told years ago to harvest horse radish in months with an "r" but suspect it makes no difference.

I've heard spring or fall....But haven't done it in spring....If it doesn't warm up I won't either.... :haha:

I harvest in the fall, then roto till the entire plot. Chop it all up. The next year you have a thousand plants it seems!
Guy down the road a few miles grows it in half barrels in front of his barn. Monster plants from the added manure and bone char. In the fall he just dumps the whole barrel out. Picks the ones he needs, puts the rest back in and shovels the dirt/ manure back in. Easy. :hatsoff:

My great uncle made up the horseradish when I was a kid and he did so in the spring. He would cut the tops off after he pulled the radish out of the ground and before going to the house he would push the radish top into the soil. The leaves would wilt a little but in a couple of days they would perk up and next years crop was on it way to growing.

Sorry to hear you were attacked by a Do-Gooder.
Middle Europeans tend to live longer than the rest of the herd and they credit the extended longevity to the regular use of horse Radish.

A Jewish acquaintance said to figure the average age of the regular press obituaries and compare it to the average age of ages mentioned in a local Jewish newspaper and on average the middle Europeans do seem to get an extra four or five years.
Horseradish is hard to find in our grocery boutique and usually it has been dyed red which I regard with suspicion./

I use to love and Argentine Corned Beef (Bully Beef_ sliced thin on rye bread with a slather of horse radish

Dutch Schoultz

I could see where that would work. In our poor rocky soils in the Flint Hills I have to look for a spot to grow it.

Years ago I rototilled a rubarb patch to "kill" it and build a raised bed. Big mistake! It grew back twice as vigorous as the undisturbed bed.

Kansas Jake said:
Years ago I rototilled a rubarb patch to "kill" it and build a raised bed. Big mistake! It grew back twice as vigorous as the undisturbed bed.

The best way to rejuvenate a waning rhubarb patch is to churn it up or transplant then fertilize well.

Ames said:
Guy down the road a few miles grows it in half barrels in front of his barn. Monster plants from the added manure and bone char. In the fall he just dumps the whole barrel out. Picks the ones he needs, puts the rest back in and shovels the dirt/ manure back in. Easy. :hatsoff:

Smart... :thumbsup:

Just got some roots to plant. Need to prepare a bed for it. Our soil is hard packed clay and rocks. Figure I will dig a short 18 inch deep trench with the back hoe and sift the clay and mix it with sand, peat and manure to fill the trench back up. As I recall, horse radish likes a damp soil. My father always knew where patches of horse radish grew "wild" at abandoned farmsteads. His favorite patch was along some railroad tracks on the edge of a swamp.

One thing I have not had in decades is water cress. Don't know if it grows wild anywhere or not. My grandfather's place in the country had a small man made pond at a spring and there was water cress planted in the spring water. It was like a cross between black pepper and horseradish. Green and crunchy. Looked almost like clover.

One thing I have not had in decades is water cress. Don't know if it grows wild anywhere or not. My grandfather's place in the country had a small man made pond at a spring and there was water cress planted in the spring water. It was like a cross between black pepper and horseradish. Green and crunchy. Looked almost like clover.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen it since the 80's....It use to grow in almost every spring...Winter or summer...My mother loved it if you could get the bugs out of it...

We use to use watercress as an indicator of a spring with good water...

Your comment about your grandfather reminds me of an abandoned farmstead where I used to go to and dig horseradish in Western Kansas 30+ years ago. It had a patch surrounding the old broken windmill. That patch was 50-60 feet in diameter. The roots were huge.

Picked up some plants yesterday, garden centers just now starting to bring things in, we still got temps going to 0c at night.
Bought a Horseradish, still have four inside growing from seed, their about 3 inches now.

Ivvd3fd.jpg

Latest posts

Back