• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

House Wife Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This IMO is the one house wife you don't want to leave home without. :grin:

For me personally, I feel the little details make a difference in your persona while at events or educational demonstrations, and on period treks. These small items can make or break what your trying to achieve.

A sewing kit obviously was a very instrumental piece of kit back in the 18th century and even after the civil war. Without it, how are you going to make important repairs to gear and clothing? It's importance still lives on even today.

I decided to construct a small example from historical documentation and images. I found the most prominent style being the basic elongated shape that folded easily at approximately three to four inches wide, and at varying lengths.

I like to base my gear on items that would have been accessible for trade with natives. I'm sure at some point a native person thought this would be one handy piece of kit to have and use to repair mocs, bags, leggings... the list goes on.

So hear we have the simple but functional house wife kit, or simply called a sewing kit. After carrying my articles mainly in a small buckskin poke, I decided to make this from a period material in my choice of heavy linen. Mine measures 3" wide and 13" in length, 16" including the pin cushion. Pockets are 3"deep and the whole thing folds up obviously into a 3" square. To secure the kit I simply have sewn a buckskin wang to the middle of the kit. This IMO is better than a button, reason being a tie allows your kit to expand with added material and such. So essentially, it's rather easy construct! Most importantly you'll want an extra inch of material on both sides to fold in to prevent fraying.

Example, you want a 5" kit, add 2" to the overall width which gives you a total of 7". You'll take that extra inch (on both sides) and fold it two times at 1/2" each, allowing for a nice seam. Same process applies for the length as well.

qRwVndq.jpg

jEkyHGm.jpg

The pin cushion is simply two pieces of wool with a leather flap that's sewn to one of the pockets. The first piece of wool has my various sewing needles, the second is strictly straight pins.

8HJRnSt.jpg

All sewing was done by hand with my preferred waxed linen thread. Add your period scissors and an awl with other small knick knacks and your prepared to fix any holes and buttons! :hatsoff:

Really nice Crewdawg445. I especially like the use of the soft leather cover over the needles in felt. I just use a simple wooden needle tube in my kit, but it doesn't include curved needles or large darning needles.

Nice kit!

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:
Dan

Billnpatti said:
Tallswife said:
Sweet!! Great job!!

BTW love the overshot beneath it!

The whaaaaaat? :haha: Pardon my ignorance but what is "overshot"? :idunno:

The blue and white cloth your kit is on for the pictures is a weave structure called overshot. It was very popular in Colonial America. You weave it with two different colors at the same time from opposite sides of the fabric.

Tallswife said:
Billnpatti said:
Tallswife said:
Sweet!! Great job!!

The blue and white cloth your kit is on for the pictures is a weave structure called overshot. It was very popular in Colonial America. You weave it with two different colors at the same time from opposite sides of the fabric.

Very good, I'm impressed you picked that out.
:thumbsup:

...and after you're mauled by a bear, you can stitch yourself up just like Hugh GLass!! :haha:

Crewdawg445 said:
Tallswife said:
Billnpatti said:
Tallswife said:
Sweet!! Great job!!

Very good, I'm impressed you picked that out.
:thumbsup:

I'm a weaver :haha:

You said "I'm a weaver." You weave, you hunt, you shoot muzzleloading guns, you cook....Good Lord, dear heart, you are the perfect woman....Marry me!!! :rotf:

Billnpatti said:
You said "I'm a weaver." You weave, you hunt, you shoot muzzleloading guns, you cook....Good Lord, dear heart, you are the perfect woman....Marry me!!! :rotf:

:rotf: Sorry, i'm already taken!!! Thanks for the offer though!!

Latest posts

Back