• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Horn Strap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought said sash/strap was cloth embroidered with beads. At least, that is the way it appears in other images I've seen of Capt. Rogers.

It is embroidered with beads, don't know if it is cloth or not. The ends of the sash look like one would expect from it having been woven.

Gus

Oh, I know this isn't a strap for a powder horn, though Doddridge talks about weaving straps for shot-pouches, belts and garters on a loom he made from a board about four feet long in a single day. So weaving a strap for a powder horn could also be done on it. It is listed as the last paragraph of page 115, in "Notes on the settlement and Indian wars of the western parts of Virginia and Pennsylvania from 1763 to 1783." (Tip of the hat to Spence as he posted this some time ago.)

Hopefully this will be a direct link to pages 114 and 115 opened like a book.
https://archive.org/details/notesonsettlemen00doddrich/page/114

Gus

Oh, I know this isn't a strap for a powder horn, though Doddridge talks about weaving straps for shot-pouches, belts and garters on a loom he made from a board about four feet long in a single day. So weaving a strap for a powder horn could also be done on it. It is listed as the last paragraph of page 115, in "Notes on the settlement and Indian wars of the western parts of Virginia and Pennsylvania from 1763 to 1783." (Tip of the hat to Spence as he posted this some time ago.)

Hopefully this will be a direct link to pages 114 and 115 opened like a book.
https://archive.org/details/notesonsettlemen00doddrich/page/114

Gus
Excellent! I am willing to accept that woven straps are a possibility.

I do still have concerns about the information in the book (period covered 1763-1783) and would look for corroboration in other sources. Mr. Doddridge was not born until 1769, 14 in 1783 and did not narrate this information to his daughter until much later (book published in 1824 - 41 years later). Memories become fluid over time...

Admittedly, I am not one to talk about any kind of weaving, as I have done almost none of it. However, it would seem to me that a woven garter might also make a useable powder horn strap? That or since Doddridge wove belts and "pouch-straps" on his simple home made loom, then he would have known how to make a horn strap, had he wanted.

The closest I have ever come to "weaving" a horn strap was braiding one from pieces of "babiche" cut leather. By that I mean taking a piece of leather and cutting a strip around it in ever smaller diameter to make a long cord. Then taking three or four of them and braiding them for a horn strap.

That being said, I much prefer solid leather straps for my pouch and horn, perhaps because I have much more experience in working leather, but also because I like the way such straps hang on my body. I even went so far as to replace the woven strap on my UnCivil War period bullseye Canteen with a leather strap and found I liked it immensely better than the woven strap.

Gus

Admittedly, I am not one to talk about any kind of weaving, as I have done almost none of it. However, it would seem to me that a woven garter might also make a useable powder horn strap? That or since Doddridge wove belts and "pouch-straps" on his simple home made loom, then he would have known how to make a horn strap, had he wanted.

The closest I have ever come to "weaving" a horn strap was braiding one from pieces of "babiche" cut leather. By that I mean taking a piece of leather and cutting a strip around it in ever smaller diameter to make a long cord. Then taking three or four of them and braiding them for a horn strap.

That being said, I much prefer solid leather straps for my pouch and horn, perhaps because I have much more experience in working leather, but also because I like the way such straps hang on my body. I even went so far as to replace the woven strap on my UnCivil War period bullseye Canteen with a leather strap and found I liked it immensely better than the woven strap.

Gus
I have a couple of simple hemp straps I wove 10-15 years ago for my horn and canteen. I prefer leather straps for any item that carries weight and will replace these hemp straps as soon as time allows.

Latest posts

Back