• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

horn project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
Several years ago I decided to try my hand at making a powder horn. I planned on a plain working horn, nothing fancy. I didn't know any horn builders so for instruction I mainly used an article in Muzzleloader Magazine's Book of Buckskinning II. It is by Don Wright, and is really excellent for a beginner. I used a rough but dry horn, spent some time rasping and filing down the outer layers to proper thinness. Wright explains how to calculate the proper diameter of the base plug and that worked well. I turned the plug on the lathe. He explains how to measure and then drill the hole in the spout, and I managed that without drilling out and ruining the horn. From there on it was easier, fitted the base plug with beeswax and wooden pegs, whittled a stopper for the spout, then filed the shoulder and retainer rings for the carry strap. Sanded everything well, stained the base plug and its pegs, gave everything a good coat of brown wax and it was ready to go. It's a medium size, 12" horn. In all my reading I failed to pick up on the fact that cow horns come with right and left curves, so I wound up making a left-handed horn. I'm right-handed, but it is no problem because the curve isn't enough to make the spout stick out too far.

iMade_hornA.jpg

iMade_hornC.jpg

iMade_hornD.jpg

Spence

Spence that is a good looking horn you turned out. I was just rereading that same article by Don wright the other night. He did a real good job of explaining everything.

Nice job and be proud of it. If you want more instruction, purchase the Sibley's book on horn making. VERY WELL worth the $20. Has great pictures and instruction on how to finish the horn out.

My 2p's worth :hatsoff:

Cheers, Don

Spence,

Nicely done! :bow:

I love the plain horn and I have always loved the poor boy look for rifles. I guess I am just a “Plain Jane” with my kit. :idunno:

Mark B

Nicely done Spence.

I used that same article to make my own powder horn. Turned out nice as well. ( IMHO)

Scott

u done a fine job no matter which side its for. just make another an hang that one on the wall.

lookin' good especially if it was your first! time for another yet? :hatsoff:

gus13 said:
...time for another yet?
I've made a couple of small plain priming horns, but I mostly wanted to experience what building a horn was like. The project did that. If I needed horn I wouldn't hesitate to tackle another one, they are fun to work with.

Spence

Back