• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Horn (not powder)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If youd'ah just added a jackalope to that, youd'ah had me believing it! :wink: :v

Book for buckskin men and boys . I spent a whole summer making the horn with hand tools ( a sprig bit" is a lousy way to dril a hole. I dropped it and made a small crack near the butt. my dad said that because it was made from cow horn ,it sounded like a dying cow when I blew it. that was a learning experience that led me to make an occasional powder horn Hank

Horns have long been used to control and call hunting dogs. You need a large bovine horn. I am of the opinion that the best way is to carve the mouthpiece into the horn. That way, it won't come out and you won't loose it. Tone is controlled by your lips and the size of the horn. The larger the horn, the deeper the tone. Sort of like the difference between a trumpet and a tuba. The larger mouthpiece will allow you to put more base into a note. Conversly, a smaller mouthpiece will give you a higher pitch. Again, look at the difference between a trumpet mouthpiece and a tuba mouthpiece. Blowing or "playing" a hunting horn is much like playing a bugle. All of the notes on a bugle are controlled by the lips alone since there are no valves as there are on many other horns such as the trumpet. A hunting horn can be "played" in much the same way. You can use different notes and series of notes to give commands to your dog.

Make your horn, train your dog and have fun.

Rifleman1776 said:
I have one, made from goat's horn I'm told but it is hollow inside (I thought goat was solid).

There may be some exceptions, but horns have a core that can be removed. Cow, bison, etc. have a core. Nuttin' wrong with goat horn if you can get the right size.
I used to raise goats, and one day, my old Billy dropped dead. I sawed off his horns to save as a memento, and left them to dry. Later, when handling them, the inside cores slipped loose and fell out, leaving a pair of nice curved horns to make something out of. These cores looked like porous, smaller horns, but not good for anything. So no, goat horn is also hollow, once dried, and the cores removed.

as a 12 year old Boy scooout Im adeone as shown in Dan Beard's Buckskin book for Buckskin men and boys I use a bugle mouth piece .my dad descrived thesoun as "someone killin g a cow slowly" Well I learned a lot doing it, andthats why I today make powder horns you might do well with a small goat horn Hank

I have one made from a goat horn and is over 75 years old. It has a self mouthpiece with a silver band made from a nickel. I belonged to my brother in laws grandfather. In the 50-60's La all deer hunting was done with dogs and any owner worth his salt had a horn. A lot of the hunters had horns to also communicate. Our camp all knew the signals like morse code

I just finished a horn for a fellow who had a champion bluetick coon hound. Scrimshawed his dog, award, and dates. The horn was huge and I put a removable brass mouthpiece on it. I could get different tones with it but the client could little more than spit through it.

As a 12 y;ear old I made one based upon "the buckskin book for buckskin men and boys by Dan Beard... it was hard work as i bored a hole using a hand sprig bit, a local shade tree garage bored it out larger and I bought a bugel mouth piece for it. my dad's appraisal of it was"itsounds like a dying cow" a kind of squawk and I no longer used it. but from it I learned how to make a powder horn . a goat's horn can be hollow a I had one given me t make into a priming horn and the Hebrew Shofar is a goats horn and a blowing horn Hank

I had a mentor, when I was a BSA leader & went to WB, that could get all sorts of sounds (SOME VERY NICE, too!!!) from a KUDU horn.

yours, satx

Latest posts

Back